Predator as USB DAC into Main System?
Jun 11, 2008 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DaMavs

Head-Fier
I've recently been coveting one of the nice portable amps like the Predator, or Pico, but didn't have a real use for the USB DAC in the near-term, as my typical portable source would be an iPod Classic, which made me wonder if I should get a portable sans USB DAC and save some $. But then I got to thinking...

Could I use the Predator as a USB DAC from my PC and then output from the Predator into my surround processor? Currently I'm just running a Y link off the PC sound card which gives me a much higher noise floor than I'd like for my main speakers which means I primarily use the PC as a source for outside speakers on a zone 2 where a high noise floor doesn't really matter. Currently I'm thinking I could use the Predator headphone out into a stereo connection and get much better performance.

So would the Predator work well and have a low noise floor? Or is a Pico better suited to this task? Or would I be better off getting 2 seperate components to do each of the tasks well? Just trying to justify springing for the USB DAC on the Predator I guess
biggrin.gif

Thanks for any thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back