Preamplifier advice requested
Jul 20, 2007 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, my HK825 preamp decided to stop working well (started with one channel going out, now it's just no sound) with phono inputs. I'm looking for options in the $150 range. So far I've found a good looking local Carver C-1 for around there.

I'm pretty much asking for any suggestions or advice on (most likely vintage) preamplifiers. I need to switch between my PC, CDP, and Thorens TD165 turntable. It seems like the Carver would do it, however I'd like to know what my possible options are. That seems to be the going price for Carver's.

Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 5
If your HK has enough inputs, and you really like it, you could use an outboard phono preamp plugged into some line input or other. Some of them are quite good for the money.

Laz

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your HK has enough inputs, and you really like it, you could use an outboard phono preamp plugged into some line input or other. Some of them are quite good for the money.

Laz

I didn't even think of doing that. It sounds like a very good possibility. The preamp is holding up very well. The phono input is the only problem.

Does anyone have suggestions for either a phono preamp or a whole preamp?

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Carver stuff used to be top end. I can't imagine go wrong with that. If I had to pick up a buget preamp i'd probably look for a dynaco pas-3 just so I could goof around and brag about my tube amp. for $150, that would be my choice.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 5
Let's say I were to spend up to $350. What would my choices be for either a phono or stereo preamp?
I just passed up a McIntosh C26 for $340. Was that a bad move on my part?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back