Preamp to integrated?
Dec 2, 2006 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an Antique Sound Lab AQ1001DT (integrated amp) and a Melos (linestage preamp). I was wondering if I could use the melos preamp to the ASL integrated. There is no input on the ASL that passes the preamp portion of it.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 3
You should be able to do that without any harm as long as you start out with the Melos at the lowest level and decrease attenuation to the point that it's at about line level. After all, it's not any different from inputing a cdp, phono stage, tape deck, or mic preamp with a volume control. Most line inputs can take allot more than the normal 2V line level. For example, my CAT Ultimate preamps has a max output of 50v rms @1khz while the input overload is 100v rms @1khz. I'd say the main drawback would be the doubling of the noise ( the Melos is increasing gain while it's pot is attenuating it and the same goes for the ASL). You could minimize this with the right tube rolling. I do that in the phono stage of my preamp using Amperex green label jan 7308s which are some of the quietest nos tubes. I've heard they were used in critical sonar/radar/medical applications where a low noise floor is required.

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the info ironbut! That's what I needed to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back