Preamp Question
Apr 1, 2005 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

yorkie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, i've been thinking about buying a TEAC AL700P amplifier, but i've been having problems locating an affordable preamp to use with it. The TEAC has volume pots on the back but from what i've heard they're not the best to use, so i've been looking for an affordable and reasonable way to control the volume.

Switching components doesn't matter to me, I have a component switcher lying around the house, so I was thinking about trying to just get something that controls the volume.

This popped up (scroll down to see the SonoSilence Two)
http://www.sonocable.com/products_silence1.shtml

It has seperate L/R volume controls, which should fix balance issues, and I have the budget to afford upgrades on it, but I have ONE big question.

Is this what i'm looking for? I'm afraid i'm not entirely clear on the function of using a seperate amp/preamp, will the SonoSilence Two and the TEAC AL700P give me all of the functionality i'm looking for?

Apr 1, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 3
Unless you're going really high end (thosands of dollars for the amp and thousands more for the preamp) you're probably better off going with an integrated amp which is just both components in one box.

Apr 1, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Unless you're going really high end (thosands of dollars for the amp and thousands more for the preamp) you're probably better off going with an integrated amp which is just both components in one box.

That's what my original plan was, until I had trouble finding a integrated that suited my needs and started hearing so many rave reviews about the TEAC tripath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back