Preamp or not?
May 18, 2005 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

F1GTR

Banned
I'm curious to know how many of you bypass the option of a preamp altogether and just go straight from the power amplifiers to your speakers on your home speaker setup?

I've had some vintage Klipschorns for the past ten years or so and have found nothing source wise for less than $5,000 that comes anywhere close to my tube rectified McIntosh MC-30 amplifiers. The thing that really puzzles me though is that I've tried using them with a McIntosh C20, C22, and MX110 preamp and I always feel as if the signal degrades when doing so.. It's almost as if the music loses some magic, tonality and clarity and the signal becomes more sterile. The sparkle and lushness of the midrange seems to dwindle and the overall sound feels like it loses body and energy.

I don't have much experience with gear outside of what I have so I'm curious to know if other's have noticed this in their own rigs and if any of you have done away with your preamp completely as well?

Do these symptoms sound correct or should a preamp have none to little effect on sound?

May 18, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
I'm curious to know how many of you bypass the option of a preamp altogether and just go straight from the power amplifiers to your speakers on your home speaker setup?
...snip ...

F1GTR, I'm a bit confused by the above question.

Your words imply that when you use a preamp that you do not "just go straight from the power amplifiers to your speakers on your home speaker setup". I assume you do not mean that literally, as a preamp precedes a power amp in the audio chain, so you are always going straight from the power amp to speakers whether or not a preamp is used.

Also, when you do not use a pre, what form of volume attenuation do you have? Does your source (CD, Tape, etc) have output level control?

I'm sure there are many purists who would agree that the best preamp is no preamp on the theory that any addition to a plain wire affects the signal. With the Mac MC-30's that may be particularly true, as that was a breakthrough product that deserves to be heard as uncolored as possible.

May 18, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 5
agile_one>Is he referring to digital volume control like on some high end cd players? Where you just connect the cd player straight to the amp?

I thought if the pre amp is totally transparent and well made there should be no signal degradation?

Some headfiers have mentioned to me that if you connect directly to the amp then you will lose resolution although I have never tried it.

May 18, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Have you tried a good passive preamp. The FT Audio Little Wonder is suppose to be the bomb. One just posted on Audiogon sold for $365 in 8 hrs. If you only have one source consider Luminous Audio Axiom for $165.

May 20, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 5
Many folks will tell you that there is a loss of dynamics and slam to offset a gain in transparency. If you go with a passive, there are matching and cabling issues to deal with. Run a search on Audiogon. there has been much discussion on this issue. I can tell you that I just bought my pre from a guy who went CD direct to a very high quality amp with gain control (Berning ZH-270) and he regrets it already. Probably depends on your specific situation (read component and cable line-up) and your audio tastes.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back