Preamp as headphone amp?
Mar 26, 2007 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

L.M.

New Head-Fier
I am jumping to the headphone world
cool.gif
and I was wondering if a decent preamp like the passlabs X2.5 or AYRE K5XE can drive balanced my 650s.
The pass pre has an output impedance of 370 Ohms while AYRE 50 Ohms per phase if I am not mistaken.
Should I go for it or get it done with a dedicated headphone amp? In the latter case do you think that a rudistor NX33 would be a nice (and much cheaper!) choice? Could also drive the pair of my powered monitors through the (balanced) headphone out?
Sorry for too many questions but I am a newbie!
blink.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by L.M. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am jumping to the headphone world
cool.gif
and I was wondering if a decent preamp like the passlabs X2.5 or AYRE K5XE can drive balanced my 650s.
The pass pre has an output impedance of 370 Ohms while AYRE 50 Ohms per phase if I am not mistaken.
Should I go for it or get it done with a dedicated headphone amp? In the latter case do you think that a rudistor NX33 would be a nice (and much cheaper!) choice? Could also drive the pair of my powered monitors through the (balanced) headphone out?
Sorry for too many questions but I am a newbie!
blink.gif

I did this with my AVM v3 preamp. It has 150 ohm balanced output. It drives the HD650 really well. Take care to reterminate the phones with female connectors instead of male....
After that I bought an NX-33....which does everything even better.
280smile.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks all for the answers!
@CRESCENDOPOWER
Wow! Very interesting piece of equipment! Surely needs consideration! I will ask them if they ship to Europe!
@Kees
NX33 seems very good budget-wise.And it is in Europe (no customs). But I do not know if it is any good preamp (need both
redface.gif
)

Need to do a lot of homework (the mentioned preamps are going to be bought second handed keep in mind).
Thanks again fellow headfiers!
580smile.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Wow! Very interesting piece of equipment! Surely needs consideration! I will ask them if they ship to Europe!

Justin ships to europe!
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 13
There are many combined headphone/pre-amp pieces out there. I'm surprised that Rudistor doesn't advertise any of his equipment as a pre-amp but you should contact him and see what he has available. It's possible that it's an option on some of his headphone amps.

Also you have Meier audio over there. I highly recommend his gear. He has the outgoing HA-2 MKII SE, and the stylish new Opera. Both have pre-amp outs. http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NX-33 has no line-out.
frown.gif

You don't just need a lineout, you need a volume controlled pre-amp out. It might still be an option if you contact Rudi.

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NX-33 has no line-out.
frown.gif

ok but can the headphone out of an NX 33 drive powered speaker monitors through this very headphone out?
confused.gif
The speakers have XLR female inputs.
In this case I would use either the cans or the monitors!
eggosmile.gif

Sounds interesting to me, but I would like your expertise on this!
And one more thing.
icon10.gif

Is the NX33 op amps interchangeable. I would not say no to a pair (or more!) of 627s
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

ok but can the headphone out of an NX 33 drive powered speaker monitors through this very headphone out?
confused.gif
The speakers have XLR female inputs.
In this case I would use either the cans or the monitors!
eggosmile.gif

Sounds interesting to me, but I would like your expertise on this!
And one more thing.
icon10.gif

Is the NX33 op amps interchangeable. I would not say no to a pair (or more!) of 627s
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting idea....
The impedance of the headphone out may be too low for that, but I am no expert on that really.
I don't think the opamps are interchangeable, but you can direct any technical questions to Rudi. Just contact him via the Rudistor website.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised that Rudistor doesn't advertise any of his equipment as a pre-amp but you should contact him and see what he has available.

The RPX-33 and the RP7 are pre-amps.
I`m using the RPX-33 as a pre-amp and it`s doing a great job!

Rudi told me that he has implemented the pre-outs of the RPX-33 ("mark2") due to customer`s demand. According to him, not few of his customers use his headphone-amps as pre-amp out of the headphone jack, and asked for a better solution.
Shouldn`t be that much of a problem to do the same with one of his balanced amps as well.
Simply asking him should do the trick, like others already suggested.

wink.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 13
Also consider Ray Samuels Audio Stealth and B-52. Both offer headphone and preamp functions. Amazing build quality and rock solid functionality.

lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back