Pre-purchase Grado SR-60 worries...
Nov 29, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenForce
Hello all...

Always wanting to further my audio/visual media experience, I thought it was about time I got some decent headphones. I stumbled across these forums a few months ago and was instantly amazed and intrigued by the passion true audiophiles have for good audio equipment. So firstly, thank you for the inspiration and awesome advice that I've gathered through massive amounts of lurking.

From what I've read, which is quite a bit now, Grado seems to be the path most appealing to me... they seem to have a loyal fanbase, and I've read some wondrous things about them. So, as a student on a budget, I'm going to go for the SR-60 as an entry set.

My first worry is that they won't be comfortable enough for extended use. Previously I had some Technics DJ1200 (recommended on random review sites) which I sold after a week. Not only did they seem to have overly harsh mid/highs and generally boring everything else, but they were hugely uncomfortable after about 30 mins. After I sold the Technics, I went for some cheapy Koss PortaPros, which sounded pretty awesome to my newbie ears, and very nice to wear too. Anyway, I'm going to assume the Grados will be uncomfortable too, as my ears seem to be somewhat sensitive... especially after 8 hour music marathons.

Secondly, I hear the bass is a little light on them. The PortaPros seemed a little over-boomy, but I do like quite a bit of bass, as I listen to quite a bit of rock/metal/electronic music. I read that different pads can accentuate the bass, which should be fine if true. I can't afford anything like the Headphile Beta C-Pads (I wish) but I think I can get hold of some Senn 414's.

So basically, I'd just like to know if I will be able to make my SR-60's comfortable, and relatively bassy. I'd like my entry into the world of audiophilia to be a pleasant and memorable one!

On the other hand, maybe these phones aren't for me... what do you think?

Thanks for your time.

With the stock pads, I find my ears getting tired after a few hours. I think I need to try bending the headband a little more, though.

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #17 of 24
IMO, the SR-60s are fantastic, but they are especially great once they hit around 200 hours of burn in. The difference is night and day... what harshness was initially there melts away and the whole thing sounds like what a fresh chocolate chip cookie looks like when it's being ripped in half, straight out of the oven. (Well, maybe I'm nuts, but that's what it reminds me of.)

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaikoten
IMO, the SR-60s are fantastic, but they are especially great once they hit around 200 hours of burn in. The difference is night and day... what harshness was initially there melts away and the whole thing sounds like what a fresh chocolate chip cookie looks like when it's being ripped in half, straight out of the oven. (Well, maybe I'm nuts, but that's what it reminds me of.)

I can wear my SR-60's for 4-5 hour stretches before I need a break... then maybe 30-60 mins break and back to wearing them for another 4-5 hours. I don't find them uncomfortable at all.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Dont bother with the 80s

Upgrade Path:

SR-60 -> SR-325i -> RS1

or SR80 -> sr325 -> rs1 -> sr200+sr60, which is my upgrade (and downgrade) path

i agree not to bother with the sr80. the sr60 is the best value headphone, period. so much sound for so little dough. you probably won't find as much love for any $70 headphones as you do for the sr60...

Nov 29, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 24
Not planning to hijack the thread but i have a question in a similar line:

I had my mind set on a pair of SR80s ($100 is the most i plan to spend), whats the difference (sonically) with the SR60? and how noticeable is it unamped out of a portable DAP?, if you use a shuffle or/and nano an unamped description would be great since im planning to use it with them and my norce2 soundstorm out of my PC, but with no plans of buying or using an amp (maybe in the far future).

Nov 29, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mano
Not planning to hijack the thread but i have a question in a similar line:

I had my mind set on a pair of SR80s ($100 is the most i plan to spend), whats the difference (sonically) with the SR60? and how noticeable is it unamped out of a portable DAP?, if you use a shuffle or/and nano an unamped description would be great since im planning to use it with them and my norce2 soundstorm out of my PC, but with no plans of buying or using an amp (maybe in the far future).

These are sr60 vs sr80 comments:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...25&postcount=2

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...93&postcount=3

Nov 30, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #22 of 24
OK... I see the SR-80's have slightly heavier bass and the 60's have a possibly annoying mid-high. In this case, I'll probably prefer the 80's. Then again, there's the Alessandro MS-1... It's definately a toss-up between these three phones.

I'm a little worried by a fair few posts by self-confessed bass-heads saying that the bass on these isn't quite enough to be satisfying, and fear that I might feel the same. Then again, I see that the flat pads from Toms are definately the way to go for comfort, extra bass, and smoother highs, so I'll be getting some of those methinks.

From what you guys are saying, comfort isn't an issue with strategic bending and pad washing... and the flats are definately nice and comfy? If this is the case, I can stop worrying about that.

Now, the only issue is bass. Although I appreciate that overly bloated bass is inaccurate and unneccesary, because my ears and tastes are new to decent equipment (and since my last phones were the basstastic PortaPros) I would still like a decent amount. So, my question now, is, which phones give the most bass out of the 60, 80 and MS-1?

By the way, my source will be a PC with a Creative Audigy 2, with an MP3 collection from 192kbs up to about 320kbs. I can re-rip if that's going to be an issue, but will the performance of any of these phones be hugely gimped by the lack of additional amp? I'm totally pushing the budget as it is ^^

Here's a quick rundown of my current (hopefully final) queries, as I realise I may be starting to ramble...

1) Are the flats the most comfortable option for pads? (I have some backup 414's on the way too).

2) Are the flats definately the most bassy option for pads?

3) Which are the most and least bassy out of the three 'phones?

4) Will any of the 'phones be seriously underachieving, unamped from an Audigy 2?

Thanks again for all your replies, wisdom and patience... I tend to take a while when considering my purchases, and this in particular is one that I want to make a perfect decision on.

Much appreciated!

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #23 of 24
The lower end Grado's appriciate their value quite well, Id pick up an sr-60 or an sr-80 off the FS forums if I were you. they are very cheap there (40-80$USD) and can be resold fro the same price should you not like them
biggrin.gif

at that price you can probably afford to buy both the sr-60 and the sr-80 then sell whichever you like least!
cool.gif

It took me three shots (and I frequent the FS forums) to get a pair of sr-60's at a good price, remember to take your time because chances are you wont find one on sale right away, and when you do POUNCE... or some one else will.

Lastly, the SR-225 has depreciated its value tremendously in the past months due to the relase of the HF-1, perhaps you can snag a pair of those for $125 ;P

Nov 30, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #24 of 24
You won't have any problems. Once you've got the headband all bent right and the pads softened up (which might take some time, but it'll happen,) you'll forget you're wearing them. they're so light, and my old pads are so soft, it's like wearing a pillow.

And don't worry about the bass. It's light compared to other really expensive headphones. Nothing below it or near it (or arguably not too far ahead of it) can touch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back