Pre-Order the Chord Mojo 2 at Audio46
Feb 1, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #32 of 55
Everyone disappointed but no ones heard it yet lol.
I don't think anybody doubts Chord's ability to deliver excellent sound. Everybody else delivers that also now. The form factor was already inconvenient, and they maintained legacy connectors. This doesn't feel like an evolution. It will have to sound miles better.

I would have redesigned the case and built the Poly in. This release just doesn't tick any boxes for me at all.

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #33 of 55
I understand people's concerns about a micro usb port, but c'mon - nobody has even listened to this yet. I think it's refreshing for a company to retain compatibility to a legacy device, and not leave previous customers of the poly out of luck.

Chord has improved sound quality significantly with every iteration of their products. I own a Dave and Hugo 2, and there is nothing out there I'd upgrade to unless a Dave 2 came out - and I may even buy this because - based on my experience with the original mojo - the sound quality was far and away better then everything in its price range.

Heck people are still using digital coax and toslink and they are decades old standards. They have a USB C port to connect to newer devices, it just charges with micro usb.

I understand people want what they want - but if it's a really big issue to you - then don't get it. For me, it's an incredibly minor issue.

To be clear I am in no way affiliated with chord, I am just a fan of their products. I also wasn't completely happy with the 2Go due to poor wifi connectivity. But, transparently, I feel like some people complain just to complain. If you are going to eliminate a device simply because of how it's charged than you prioritize convenience over sound quality. And, that's fine. But, there are plenty of people that don't. I'm sure chord will do just fine with this - as they are still selling plenty of Hugo 2s and Mojos.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #35 of 55

Short and simple yet very true

He has extreme views on things like Susvara is trash, all over head headphones are trash.
It’s his view but I don’t agree with everything he says.

I mean is he trolling or is he serious in below video as I have heard Susvara once only and it sounded normal to me

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #37 of 55
I understand people's concerns about a micro usb port, but c'mon - nobody has even listened to this yet. I think it's refreshing for a company to retain compatibility to a legacy device, and not leave previous customers of the poly out of luck.

Chord has improved sound quality significantly with every iteration of their products. I own a Dave and Hugo 2, and there is nothing out there I'd upgrade to unless a Dave 2 came out - and I may even buy this because - based on my experience with the original mojo - the sound quality was far and away better then everything in its price range.

Heck people are still using digital coax and toslink and they are decades old standards. They have a USB C port to connect to newer devices, it just charges with micro usb.

I understand people want what they want - but if it's a really big issue to you - then don't get it. For me, it's an incredibly minor issue.

To be clear I am in no way affiliated with chord, I am just a fan of their products. I also wasn't completely happy with the 2Go due to poor wifi connectivity. But, transparently, I feel like some people complain just to complain. If you are going to eliminate a device simply because of how it's charged than you prioritize convenience over sound quality. And, that's fine. But, there are plenty of people that don't. I'm sure chord will do just fine with this - as they are still selling plenty of Hugo 2s and Mojos.
I'd agree on all accounts. However, this doesn't strike me as the Mojo 2; more a Mojo 1.2. The modifications and features don't seem aimed to get existing users to upgrade and are more aimed to give an older device a refresh to stay relevant in the market and attract new buyers into the Chord brand. That also probably factored into Chord not wanting to release an update to the Poly. At $725 US, I would seriously consider the Mojo rev. 1 over the 2 for the cost savings and sound quality. Tone controls, a few more taps, and a USB-C dataport aren't on my wish-list at this price increase, YMMV.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #38 of 55
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #39 of 55
I'd agree on all accounts. However, this doesn't strike me as the Mojo 2; more a Mojo 1.2. The modifications and features don't seem aimed to get existing users to upgrade and are more aimed to give an older device a refresh to stay relevant in the market and attract new buyers into the Chord brand. That also probably factored into Chord not wanting to release an update to the Poly. At $725 US, I would seriously consider the Mojo rev. 1 over the 2 for the cost savings and sound quality. Tone controls, a few more taps, and a USB-C dataport aren't on my wish-list at this price increase, YMMV.

You may be right. My point is simply that we should listen to it before passing judgement.

Feb 2, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #41 of 55

Not a Mojo owner myself but I've always been curious. However I've owned a bunch of Micro USB-charged devices and ALL (and I mean ALL) of them failed because the Micro USB port failed and the unit just wouldn't charge anymore. All of them wound up in the garbage when, if not for that micro-USB charging port, they would have had many more years of valued life. Yes sound quality should be paramount, but a battery-powered audio device with a malfunctioning charging port won't have any sound quality at all.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #42 of 55
Not a Mojo owner myself but I've always been curious. However I've owned a bunch of Micro USB-charged devices and ALL (and I mean ALL) of them failed because the Micro USB port failed and the unit just wouldn't charge anymore. All of them wound up in the garbage when, if not for that micro-USB charging port, they would have had many more years of valued life. Yes sound quality should be paramount, but a battery-powered audio device with a malfunctioning charging port won't have any sound quality at all.

A fair criticism as multiple people in the thread have reported micro USB failures. I have had the original Hugo and Hugo 2 and never had any issues (with the micro-usb. I did have an issue with the volume control that chord fixed without issue). I have some non-audiophile devices that also use micro USB and haven't had problems with them either - but I get the concern. No one is disputing that USB C is the better connector, and provides for faster charging. For me, I just don't care that much - because I haven't had any issues. If I did, maybe I would.

It's similar to the posts that say "No 4.4mm connector in 2022, how could you chord!" - who cares? All chord dacs are single ended so any balanced connection would just be for convenience, and balanced doesn't necessarily sound better than single ended; it depends on the implementation, like most things.

I have Enleum amp 23r that has quarter inch headphone output only. Would I have preferred a balanced output? Yes, only because most of my cables are 4 pin XLR. Did it affect my decision to buy it? Absolutely not - it’s the best amp I’ve heard with the Susvara, and as it’s a 25 watt amp - is plenty powerful. It is also a single ended design, which is part of the reason it sounds like it does. A balanced output would just be for convenience. There are plenty of amps that I’ve tried that have balanced outputs that aren’t nearly as good. So, I use a different cable or a high quality adapter. TBH, I feel like balanced with IEMs is a bit of a marketing gimmick. I have an AK se100 and the balanced output really doesn’t sound any better to me than the single ended - mainly because IEMs don’t need as much juice and the DAC implementation is more important. And that’s with an AK player that does have a balanced topology. So, if it’s not balanced to begin with - I see no benefit. The only DAP I’ve heard where 4.4mm is a benefit is the Ibasso DX200 which I also own, but it has modular amps - and I’m pretty sure the amp is the reason for the sonic improvement rather than the connection (and I prefer their single ended amps over their balanced amps except in this case).

Anyhow, most reviews thus far suggest this has significant sonic improvements over the original mojo. For me, that and use case will determine if it's something I pick up.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #43 of 55

Darko out with (not a review). Sound like the things I didn't like on the Mojo soundwise are fixed with the Mojo 2. The Mojo kind of annoyed me. Everybody wanted your latest review to compare to the Mojo. I didn't have it and didn't really want to spend my own money on it. It was easy to like but there were more technically gifted DACs at the same price or less when it was released.

https://darko.audio/2022/01/not-a-review-of-the-chord-electronics-mojo-2/

I'd love to hear the Mojo2, but stand by my complaints about form factor and micro usb. I also don't like colour coded volume. That was-is just annoying.

Looking forward to some impressions.

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #44 of 55
Darko out with (not a review). Sound like the things I didn't like on the Mojo soundwise are fixed with the Mojo 2. The Mojo kind of annoyed me. Everybody wanted your latest review to compare to the Mojo. I didn't have it and didn't really want to spend my own money on it. It was easy to like but there were more technically gifted DACs at the same price or less when it was released.

https://darko.audio/2022/01/not-a-review-of-the-chord-electronics-mojo-2/

I'd love to hear the Mojo2, but stand by my complaints about form factor and micro usb. I also don't like colour coded volume. That was-is just annoying.

Looking forward to some impressions.
So this article is an elongated ad.

Feb 3, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #45 of 55
So this article is an elongated ad.
I wouldn't call it that. Darko came off as annoyed that Chord embargoed reviewers twice. He published something that others might call a review. I am with him that reviews need comparisons to provide context and to sharpen impressions.

What he's done is a news article with some impressions. It's not an ad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back