Pre-Dallas Meeting Report
Feb 16, 2002 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Flumpus

Needs more Soylent Greento become Omega Man
Ok, this may seem silly, but Headroom already sent the stuff, and I've felt like I was at some sort of electronics show tonight comparing all kinds of stuff. Just wanted to report on some stuff... give back a little
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, so first of all, I was most excited about the AKG K501s. There had been so much talk about them, I had to see what the fuss was about (good or bad). I listened to them for a few hours, mostly with Straight No Chaser, The Raven, and Crash (Dave Matthews Band). First impressions are good, I didn't find anything obviously wrong with them. Bass? They got it... Power hungry? Maybe, Melos doesn't seem to have much of a problem. The Max (what I've tried so far) does seem to be excellent with them. Maybe better than the Melos actually. I wouldn't be surprised. So anyway, I want to spend more time with these... mainly in comparison to something I'll mention below.

Well, Headroom also sent the K1000s. So how are the 501s big brother? They're special... They sound balanced and very detailed. I really can't comment much more, other than both my roommate's said they were "very weird", and one almost wouldn't wear them
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, next up is the Grado 325s... Eh, I thought. First impression was horrible. Sounded tinny, shrill, just down right bad. So I decided to go play Super Monkey Ball. I went in to the living room, and decided I needed music other than game music. So I fired up Crash in my Panasonic CT780, hooked up to the Cosmic (Headroom makes wonderful things possible). I decided to give the 325s another chance, and actually found them enjoyable. They weren't comfortable, and I think I liked some other stuff better, but for a forward sound, these are it. The RS-1 was a much more enjoyable headphone, but the 325 did seem to have an even more forward sound goin' for it. Good for some, bad for others... I'm in between.

Last but not least, Headroom sent the Beyerdynamics 931s. I recently heard the 831s and thought they were awesome, so this is a treat. So far, these are my favorites. The Melos drives the heck out of 'em, and my mint tin cmoy doesn't do a bad job either. Yes, they are bright. Are they bright like the Grados? No! I enjoy their sonic characteristics, and think they sound very balanced with a open and extended sound. Actually, since I was listening to new headphones, I was kinda listening for technical stuff first, but these made me listen to the music. I noticed on The Raven... it sounded beautiful, and I got lost. That's the highest compliment you can give a headphone IMO. That's some high praise, but it's how I feel right now. I'll definitely do alot more listening before Sunday, so I won't have to worry about taking other people's turns at listening. I'm very curious about the 501 vs. 931 matchup. I'm actually considering buying one of these two, so hopefully I can make a decision.

Also, I was kinda hard on the Max last time. I still think the Melos is a better amp for alot of things, but the Max is built so well, and just so refined. I really noticed with the 501s. More to come on that.

The Cosmic is wonderful, and makes a perfect living room/portable amp. Can I just keep this one Todd?
wink.gif
Hehe, anyway, hopefully everyone will feel the same way about this one.

So anyway, just some preliminary stuff, based on my experiences tonight. It's 3:00AM here, so I should probably give my ears some rest...

Feb 16, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm drooling, i'm really drooling.......gahhhhhh

More

Tell us more!
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Flumpus, do you have an equipment list of all the toys that will be at the meet? Wish I could fly out to come meet y'all! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Here's my guess at an equipment list... I'm not completely sure what everyone else is bringing...

Amps
Headroom Max
Headroom Cosmic
Melos SHA-1
MG Head DT
MG Head OTL
Creek OBH-11
Corda
JMT Built Cmoy

Sources
Sony 555ES
2 Art DI/Os
Marantz 4000OSE
AMC CD8B
Panasonic CT780
Panasonic CT570
Pro-Ject 1.2 Turntable

Headphones
Sennheiser HD600 w/ Blue Clou
Sennheiser HD600 regular calbe (probably multiples)
Sennheiser HD580 w/ Blue or Red Clou (forget)
Ety ER4S (extra foamies for all!)
Grado SR125
Grado SR325
Beyerdynamic 831
Beyerdynamic 931
AKG K340
AKG K501
AKG K1000

Interconnects
Audioquest Sidewinder
Audioquest Diamondback
Audioquest Coral
DiMarzio M-Path
DiMarzio M-Path (for the Cosmic)
Homegrown Audio Silver Lace
Straightwire mini-RCA
Kimber mini-RCA

There's probably some other stuff, but I can't think of it right now.

Feb 17, 2002 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 9
When you make comparisons you should try to use the same cables and music. Or atleast make notes when different ICs, power cables, headphone cables, recordings are used to compare different amps, cdps, or headphones.

For example, using a cheap computer cord on one amp vs. a decent audio power cable on another can ruin comparisons of those two amps, ditto when using different ICs.

Feb 17, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 9
You know what these meets need? A live web-cam.

Feb 17, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Hey, Ety's are also a favorite of mine, and the DT931 are favorites as well as the K501. For a long time I've been trying to convince myself to slim down to only ONE full-size comfy headphone given the fact that when it comes down to it it is hard to distribute a good amount of time to both, but after pointless sidings on both ways I don't think I could give up either price considered.

Anyways I kind of get the impression that I probably like similar sound characteristics that Flumpus does, and I'll be interested in your comparisons and findings. All I know is, even after having both for quite sometime it isn't really too easy. I think for the most part the DT931 are better, but there is a little something that the K501 still hang around for, besides the really low price point I got for em.
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW the DT931 really shines on clean refined music, but give it something gritty and you may grimace. You like DMB or Bela Fleck which are both selections that are very clean and polished and would definitely shine on DT931, but try throwing more "gritty" selections and you will find probably the only real weakpoint which is they are pretty unforgiving IMO. This is the only reason I probably still keep the K501.

Also the DT931 are just SO rarely mentioned...so try them out of either jacks of the Melos (i.e. they probably should sound better out of the high impedance jack), and it'd be interesting what you think about their bass since I consider that a very strong point over its full-size competitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back