Pre-Buy AD 700 Questions
Nov 4, 2007 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dbg

New Head-Fier
All:

I'm about ready to buy a pair of ATH-AD700s but wanted to ask a couple of questions for you all to weigh in on.
Background: I listen exclusively to an iPod Classic, listen to ALL forms of music with the exception of Rap or HipHop, want a can that is open due to some prior hearing loss, prefer a big, balanced stage with crisp sound on the high side, though not tinny. I've been reading and reading and listening, and these come pretty well recommended. I have listened to the Beyer DT770 and the mid-range ATs, as well as a few Ultrasones. So......

1.Will I be able to be able to take advantage of the AD700 features without an amp? I'm not opposed to buying one, but would prefer not to have to. I have unfortunately not been able to locally audition a pair, because there is apparently not one pair in the Dallas area.

2. If the AD700s cannot be run without an amp using an iPod Classic to produce great sound, what will?

That should cover it. Please post with your thoughts. Best Regards.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the AD900s and sometimes run them out of my HP IPaq Rx5900. They perform pretty well without an amp, a good all-rounder headphone for different genres of music. When amped, they sound slightly better (eg. the brass in horns come out when i pass it through my tube amp), the difference is audible, but not the "oh my god they've become a totally different beast" difference.
The only thing I read that's lacking on the AD700 is the bass - a problem I do not find on the AD900. Bass on the AD900 goes deep and tight, and the amount of it is just enough (though bassheads may want more).

Just my two cents on the AD900. Hope that helps.

Btw, welcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet! I've been wanting to say that LOL

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 5
the ad700s might be good for the price but i've heard that the ad900 and ad2000 will be great upgrades with the same family sound. You should consider getting the highest end version of the family of cans you like. After all, thats what you'll end up doing around here anyway

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 5
^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by tz3ling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I read that's lacking on the AD700 is the bass - a problem I do not find on the AD900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back