Pre- and power amps for DAC and Kef Coda 9
Jul 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gugguson

Head-Fier
Hello guys.

Yesterday I posted questions regarding my setup for sound from my Mac to my Kef Coda 9 speakers.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to swap my T-Amp to something better to get good sound quality. What I would like is big warm sound with good bass from my Kef speakers.

I have decided that I need new DAC. I'm thinking about Devilsound, iBasso or even DACMAGIC which seems to be pretty good.

Than I need a new amp and I would think (from my readings) that Pre- and power amps is the way to go. By my reading tube amps do produce the sound that I'm looking for (warm) but might not be the best option for my Kef speakers (91W and 6ohm).

I will upgrade my system in steps - is there a combination which you guys would suggest for my sound roadmap? I have limited budget and would like a price range of $150-400 or something like that for each element (pre, power and dac).

Regards,
Johann

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 13
I think the Cambridge Audio DacMagic is very good (although on the expensive end) so I would probably get that one and then need good pre- and power amps with good warm sound and deep bass to pair with my Kef Coda 9 - could anybody help me with choices?

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 13
If you want deep bass get a powered sub-woofer, maybe something like a Cambridge Basscube 821 or 851. These units have built-in amps for the stereo and/or surround speakers. The KEF Coda 9 is well regarded for sound quality.

I'm guessing you're not in USA but this is an example:
Cambridge 851

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want deep bass get a powered sub-woofer, maybe something like a Cambridge Basscube 821 or 851. These units have built-in amps for the stereo and/or surround speakers. The KEF Coda 9 is well regarded for sound quality.

I'm guessing you're not in USA but this is an example:
Cambridge 851

Thank you joe_cool.

So are you talking about getting a sub-woofer with my current speakers?

So we are talking about: Mac>DAC>Pre-amp>Power-amp>Sub-Woofer and Kef 9

This is probably what I should aim for - only if somebody could recommend the pre and power amps.

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 13
That's incorrect the subwoofer plugs into pre-amp pre-outs not the power amplifier. The Kef speakers aren't hard to drive or low sensivitity so don't see why a tube amp isn't suitable.

I think for your speakers going pre and power is a bit overkill, I'd just get a second hand stereo integrated amplifier that's a step up then look for new speakers. I'm not sure if I used my decent Audiolab 8000S with the Kef Coda's but I definietly had the Kef's powered by a Yamaha AV amplifier.

I would not buy a subwoofer yet, spend money on amp & speakers.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's incorrect the subwoofer plugs into pre-amp pre-outs not the power amplifier. The Kef speakers aren't hard to drive or low sensivitity so don't see why a tube amp isn't suitable.

I think for your speakers going pre and power is a bit overkill, I'd just get a second hand stereo integrated amplifier that's a step up then look for new speakers. I'm not sure if I used my decent Audiolab 8000S with the Kef Coda's but I definietly had the Kef's powered by a Yamaha AV amplifier.

X2

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Thank you for great info iriverdude.

So you recommend going this route:
New amp
New speakers
... and then DAC and subwoofer?

I'm thinking about getting a new amp as you recommend and also a DAC and see how that works with my speakers. If I will need more bass I would then get a subwoofer. Is that a bad plan or am I getting somewhere?

I'm starting to think the V-DAC could be a good option and then I need a stereo integrated amp that will drive my speakers and later subwoofer. Could a tube amp do that or am I better off with "normal" amp?

Thanks again for your help.

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 13
Shouldn't really need a subwoofer with the Coda 9's they reach pretty low- low enough for music, and have a good kick to them (probably a bit too much) Unless you're a in a big room or planning to have a home theatre, they'll work better filtering out low bass diverting it to the subwoofer. But you'll need a av amp or av pre-amp to do this. Or you could go through the subwoofer, some subs have speaker/line level filtering but may be fixed at 80hz. SVS SB12+ has this feature, I have not used it though as sound quality may degrade plus need a long run of cables to and from the sub.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 13
Thank you iriverdude.

I see that Audio Affair online store has both the V-DAC and the amp that you use the Audiolab 8000S (for only 290 pounds). I might just take the jump and buy this combo for my Kef Coda 9 speakers.
How would you rate the Audiolab 8000S? Is it in the same league as nad? Is there some bargain amp (maybe with tubes) that could be a better option?

I was considering Glow Amp One which looks fantastic and is a tube amp. There might be more difficult expanding the system later with that amp.

I prefer smaller amp in dimensions and don't need more than 1-2 inputs so big amps are not something I need. I'm only concerned about sound quality and want warm deep sound.

Johann

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 13
It's above NAD in quality but it can be described as a little forward. If you like a warmer sound I'd look into Arcam. I'm not sure if the new IAG Audiolabs are better than pre Tag Mclaren purchase, they're now made in China. I wouldn't go too warm a sound as it'll be mushy no dynamics no zing.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
beerchug.gif

Is it possible to connect subwoofer to the amp (if I need to add it later)?

I will look into Arcam.
Another option is Rotel RA-04.

This is a jungle and I'm having hard time finding the right amp for my needs because I will have to order it before listening.

Johann

Quote:

It's above NAD in quality but it can be described as a little forward. If you like a warmer sound I'd look into Arcam. I'm not sure if the new IAG Audiolabs are better than pre Tag Mclaren purchase, they're now made in China. I wouldn't go too warm a sound as it'll be mushy no dynamics no zing.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 13
yup either from high or low level, if the sub has it (for example SVS SB12+) Although SVS crossover is a bit too high, Rel's have lower crossover points. You need sub crossover as you'll be sending the subwoofer full range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back