Practical difference between JDS Labs C5D and Schiitt Magni/Modi stack [Halp!]
Oct 21, 2014 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GridIroN

100+ Head-Fier
Hey

So, I've been doing some research into upgrading my audio set up recently, and I'm trying to settle on either a Magni/Modi stack or a C5D as my new driver units. The MM is obviously a very well regarded combo and it's not expensive at all, but I'm really liking a lot of the features of C5D and it could replace both my Fiio E10 and E11 which would be pretty sweet. However, I'm concerned with the amount of power and how well a C5D would be able to drive something sensitive and/or with higher levels of impedence. I'm keen on picking up a pair of Oppo PM2's which are ortho and I know ortho's have low impedence, but require high power  and I'm curious whether a C5D would do as good a job powering a set of cans like that.

I never intend to be picking up $1000+ cans or anything outside the intermediate audiophile market, but it would tip the scales for me if the C5D's power wasn't a concern for future cans. Reading some other threads, some people seemed to suggest something running off USB was no good for sensitive or high(er) impedence than normal cans.

Thoughts? 

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 5
The Oppo PM-2's need around 64 mW to reach max peak db levels of 120 db, which most consider the absolute maximum you'd ever need. 110 db is much more realistic, which would be just 8 mW. The C5D can provide 44 mW of power, so I say you're very good to go. If you don't need something portable, then the M/M stack or O2/ODAC would make more sense and be more versatile in the future. What other cans would you be considering in the future?

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 5
  The Oppo PM-2's need around 64 mW to reach max peak db levels of 120 db, which most consider the absolute maximum you'd ever need. 110 db is much more realistic, which would be just 8 mW. The C5D can provide 44 mW of power, so I say you're very good to go. If you don't need something portable, then the M/M stack or O2/ODAC would make more sense and be more versatile in the future. What other cans would you be considering in the future?

Thanks for the response! I'd say the HE400i's look attractive right now as well...the Sennheiser HD650's...AKG 712...basically anything in that <700 intermediate arch is fair game. 

Though, right now im thinking a Schiitt stack for my desktop, and keep the E11 or move to an E11K for my Westone 4R's...a lot of people seem to consider the E11 or the normal C5 the best options (sonically) for the 4Rs.

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 5
I'd spring for the desktop setup in that case for the 650's and 712's just to be safe. Or, you could save up for something like the Fiio E12 to be your new, more powerful amp... but again, I'd only recommend that if you need portability.

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 5
  I'd spring for the desktop setup in that case for the 650's and 712's just to be safe. Or, you could save up for something like the Fiio E12 to be your new, more powerful amp... but again, I'd only recommend that if you need portability.

Yea, I edited my comment^. Seems like this option makes more sense with all the angles I'm looking at...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back