Practical Devices XM4 Battery
Aug 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mvmv

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone knows whether Lithium-Ion batteries like the one used in the upgrade option in the old Practical Devices XM4 can be replaced easily. Mine doesn't seem to hold it's charge for very long at all now (even without using it it will discharge very quickly). All i can find is buying the same battery and charger straight from Practical Devices which is quite costly. Are these batteries readily available in lots of places? (I've put the link to the PD battery page below)
http://www.practicaldevices.com/buylithium.htm

Thanks for any help you can give.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 11
I bought the lithium option for my XM5. The battery still holds a good charge after 2+ years(?). I plan to just replace it with one of my spare  500 mAh lithium. I can only guess that the mAh rating might be a factor for charge time.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I bought the lithium option for my XM5. The battery still holds a good charge after 2+ years(?). I plan to just replace it with one of my spare  500 mAh lithium. I can only guess that the mAh rating might be a factor for charge time.

I couldn't seem to find one similar to what they show in the picture, they all seem to be for phone and digital camera sized batteries. Where did you get your spares?

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #5 of 11
I copied the description and found a similar one in the UK so i think i will probably go for that. Didn't want to buy one and it not be compatable so it's always helpful to hear from someone in a similar situation.

Thanks very much for your help.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 11
I had a similar problem a few months back.  I could not find a source for a lithium battery locally or online.  Online prices were rediculous because to ship it it was considered "hazardous material".  The cheapest option was to buy the kit again from Practical Devices - which didn't seem reasonable (or very cheap!) to me.  I opted to jumper the amp for NiMH batteries.  Unfortunately, the power supply that is provided with the lithium battery kit doesn't supply enough voltage to charge NiMH batteries.  So, I had to dig up the appropriate power supply (12 V) and obtain a connector to solder on there so I could plug it into the amp.  Ugh!

It was a painful process, but now I am set up that I can replace my battery with an easily obtained NiMH battery rather than an impossible to find lithium battery.

Details on the battery options and power supply requirements can be found here:
http://www.practicaldevices.com/faq_xm4.htm.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I had a similar problem a few months back.  I could not find a source for a lithium battery locally or online.  Online prices were rediculous because to ship it it was considered "hazardous material".  The cheapest option was to buy the kit again from Practical Devices - which didn't seem reasonable (or very cheap!) to me.  I opted to jumper the amp for NiMH batteries.  Unfortunately, the power supply that is provided with the lithium battery kit doesn't supply enough voltage to charge NiMH batteries.  So, I had to dig up the appropriate power supply (12 V) and obtain a connector to solder on there so I could plug it into the amp.  Ugh!

It was a painful process, but now I am set up that I can replace my battery with an easily obtained NiMH battery rather than an impossible to find lithium battery.

Details on the battery options and power supply requirements can be found here:
http://www.practicaldevices.com/faq_xm4.htm.

Wow that is some commitment, I'm not great with my hands so i don't think i will ever attempt soldering. Pretty much puts DIY for any product off the table for me as well unfortunately.

Your solution does make it so much easier and cheaper in the long run though, these batteries are so expensive I'm even considering selling the XM4 with the dead battery and buying something like the Fiio E11.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Ive been looking at the xm4. Do you like it? Does it sound ok?

I do like it, it gives a good jump in volume and the volume pot is pretty good. The bass boost is handy to have if you want some more, not sure about the crossfeed though, can't decide whether i like it better. Then again, I have not heard anything of a similar price and I'm not sure how it would stack up to the modern competition of a similar price.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Wow that is some commitment, I'm not great with my hands so i don't think i will ever attempt soldering. Pretty much puts DIY for any product off the table for me as well unfortunately.

Your solution does make it so much easier and cheaper in the long run though, these batteries are so expensive I'm even considering selling the XM4 with the dead battery and buying something like the Fiio E11.

I actually searched for less DIY solutions first, including a multipurpose power supply from Radio Shack, but they don't stock it any more.  Fortunately I know which end of the soldering iron to hold, so it wasn't too big of a deal.  The XM4 wasn't exactly cheap when I bought it, so I wasn't ready to give up on it and was determined to work up a solution.

I have and Fiio E11 too (listening to it right now actually).  The E11 is plasticy compared to the XM4.  The volume pot on the XM4 has a better feel to it.  You can easily turn the XM4 pot with a single hand; the E11 pot is stiff and you have to hold the amp with one hand and turn the pot with the other.  But there is a huge price difference!  Sound quality for me is the same for both.  Both have good bass boost.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
I actually searched for less DIY solutions first, including a multipurpose power supply from Radio Shack, but they don't stock it any more.  Fortunately I know which end of the soldering iron to hold, so it wasn't too big of a deal.  The XM4 wasn't exactly cheap when I bought it, so I wasn't ready to give up on it and was determined to work up a solution.

I have and Fiio E11 too (listening to it right now actually).  The E11 is plasticy compared to the XM4.  The volume pot on the XM4 has a better feel to it.  You can easily turn the XM4 pot with a single hand; the E11 pot is stiff and you have to hold the amp with one hand and turn the pot with the other.  But there is a huge price difference!  Sound quality for me is the same for both.  Both have good bass boost.

Hey cheers for the comparison, I think I'm gonna go for the battery for the XM4 rather than replace it with something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back