Practical Devices XM3 Poor Customer Service
Nov 13, 2018 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

yachadm

New Head-Fier
I've given Jim Forrest ample time to respond to my problem, and he hasn't, so I'm going public on this.

I bought this XM3 about 3 years ago (pretty good sound), and after a year, I started having problems with the Volume Potentiometer, with sound dropping out randomly.

I disassembled the amp, and noted with disgust that:
1. The Poti was NOT an ALPS original, but a counterfeit
2. The original shaft length was too long, so instead of neatly sawing off the excess (secured in a vice to eliminate strain on the shaft), the assembler (Jim?) had snipped the excess off with a pair of pliers, and not even bothered to file it smooth. Or install an Alps original with the correct shaft length. Obviously that crude cutting, did nothing for the stability and reliability of the shaft (even if it was Chinese).
3. The soldering was poor quality, with leads cut off at different lengths, and blotches of solder all over the PCB.

I replaced the Poti with an Alps original, and that solved the problem.

After another couple of months, the on-off tactile switch failed.

So, for the first time, I contacted Jim, and told him my opinion of his workmanship, requesting him to mail me a replacement switch.

He answered me, and basically told me to f off.
Great Customer Relations.

I replaced the switch myself.

Last week, the left channel dropped out.

On my scope, I traced it to a position under the gain switch. I resoldered the entire PCB, understanding that Via's are a problem on modern PCB's with unleaded solder, but no luck.

Obviously, the thin traces are susceptible to breaks.

I wrote Jim again, and asked him to mail me (at cost), a replacement bare PCB, and I will transfer all the components over.

No reply.

No, I don't want to buy an XM4 instead, and I certainly don't want to support him, if this is how he behaves when things don't go right.

Customer Service is measured ONLY when the product fails, and how the company owns the failure, and makes it right.

Jim, this customer is calling you out on your failure, because you refuse to expend any effort to make it RIGHT.

This is a company which I do not recommend under any circumstances. Piss Poor workmanship to begin with, and if he perceives that the customer is p'd off with him, he retreats into his shell and hides out.

For a Canadian company officer to behave like this, instead of owning his failures and going all-out to make the customer satisfied, is a certain recipe for future failure.

M Yachad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back