ppx3 slam or prehead mkll for gs1000
Oct 2, 2006 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dorder

100+ Head-Fier
i've received my grado gs1000 last week and been using it with my ppx3 6cg7 with good results so far. i only feel the ppx lacks the absolute control over the grados compared to the senn hd650, but i like the gs1000 enough to upgrade in order to fix that.
the two options i'm currently considering are either slam adapters to run 5687 tubes for more current with my ppx or selling the ppx and getting a prehead mkll (which is currently on sale at meier audio).
i had the chance to audition the prehead, with hd650, and was really impressed by its neutral and detailed, yet full bodied sound.
i know the sound of those two amps would be rather different, but i'd like to know if someone heard the gs1000 with the prehead, or even compared the two setups.
any input is appreciated.

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorder
i've received my grado gs1000 last week and been using it with my ppx3 6cg7 with good results so far. i only feel the ppx lacks the absolute control over the grados compared to the senn hd650, but i like the gs1000 enough to upgrade in order to fix that.
the two options i'm currently considering are either slam adapters to run 5687 tubes for more current with my ppx or selling the ppx and getting a prehead mkll (which is currently on sale at meier audio).
i had the chance to audition the prehead, with hd650, and was really impressed by its neutral and detailed, yet full bodied sound.
i know the sound of those two amps would be rather different, but i'd like to know if someone heard the gs1000 with the prehead, or even compared the two setups.
any input is appreciated.

I would just add the adapters and use 5687's. The adapters are a far less expensive option than adding a new amp. The little 5687 tube is a powerhouse and will improve transient speed, bass control and dynamics. Furthermore, you can replace a 6gu7 in the gain position for the 6cg7 and add more detail and air to the upper frequencies and a more neutral bass response. The 6gu7 is a drop in substitute and this tube only costs $5-6 each in the US. In fact, you might try two 6gu7's as the output tubes and see how that impacts the amps bass control of the gs1000 before you buy 5687 adapters. This is an inexpensive $10-15 tweak that may give you what you want. If you decide the adapters and the different tubes still dont give you what you want, the addition of the adapters will improve the amps resale price. So you wont lose much, if anything, in a future sale.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I would just add the adapters and use 5687's. The adapters are a far less expensive option than adding a new amp. The little 5687 tube is a powerhouse and will improve transient speed, bass control and dynamics. Furthermore, you can replace a 6gu7 in the gain position for the 6cg7 and add more detail and air to the upper frequencies and a more neutral bass response. The 6gu7 is a drop in substitute and this tube only costs $5-6 each in the US. In fact, you might try two 6gu7's as the output tubes and see how that impacts the amps bass control of the gs1000 before you buy 5687 adapters. This is an inexpensive $10-15 tweak that may give you what you want. If you decide the adapters and the different tubes still dont give you what you want, the addition of the adapters will improve the amps resale price. So you wont lose much, if anything, in a future sale.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for the reply, sacd lover.
i never heard about the option with the 6gu7. i definitly look out for some of them.

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
smily_headphones1.gif

I dont quite agree about 5687 for gs1000. 5687 enhances bass of HP, including hd650 and gs1000. It seems to me that headphones use one driver for all freq so that If you boost bass to some degree, then the mid and high will suffer too much. RA1 is relatively weak in low but makes GS1000 sound very analytical that is what Grado wants it to be. You can boost bass some db depends on your taste.

Oct 3, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rshdhead
I dont quite agree about 5687 for gs1000. 5687 enhances bass of HP, including hd650 and gs1000. It seems to me that headphones use one driver for all freq so that If you boost bass to some degree, then the mid and high will suffer too much. RA1 is relatively weak in low but makes GS1000 sound very analytical that is what Grado wants it to be. You can boost bass some db depends on your taste.

rshdhead, do you have first hand expirience with the ppx3 slam/gs1000 combination, or is it just an estimation?

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorder
rshdhead, do you have first hand expirience with the ppx3 slam/gs1000 combination, or is it just an estimation?

I have mpx3 slam/gs1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back