PPX3, Mapletree EAR+, or other?
Mar 12, 2006 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Comfy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Posts
1,328
Likes
12
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a new amp to replace the Millett in the following setup:
E-MU 0404 -> Zhaolu DAC -> Millett Hybrid -> Grado HF-1, AKG K 701

At the moment my main options are a used PPX3 6SN7 and a new Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD. Both would cost around 600$.
So the amp needs to drive both Grados and AKGs. Any opinions?

Could anyone please tell me the dimensions of the PPX3 case?
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 31

Gabe Logan

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Posts
1,393
Likes
11
Dimentions for my PPX3 are:

Length:12"
Width:9"
Hight"3" (With the rubber on the bottom it is 3.5")

Cannot comment on the others as i have never heared them before but i am having a blast with the tube rollings and more comming in soon
biggrin.gif
.
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 31

Comfy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Posts
1,328
Likes
12
Thanks Gabe, that helped a lot.

As you also own the DAC I am going to get, I'd like to ask you another couple questions:

Is it possible to place the PPX3 on top of the Zhaolu DAC? Or is the Zhaolu too small, or the PPX3 too heavy, or would it overheat the DAC or something?

What do you think of the synergy between Zhaolu and PPX3?
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 31

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
8,190
Likes
33
Comfy, if you are getting a PPX3 for low impedence headphones I would recommend the SLAM version .... or adding some 5687 tube socket adapters at some point. The 5687 output tubes drive the low impedence headphones with much more authority. I am especially pleased with the SLAM PPX3 / AKG K 701 combination.

The Mapletree ear+ is also a very good headphone amp for low impedence headphones .... IMO. But, the SLAM PPX3 is more versatile with higher impedence headphones if you ever go that route. I have compared these two amps head to head and I like the SLAM a little better. The SLAM has a richer and warmer sound that takes the edge off of the grados better .... but the SLAM still remains every bit as fast and revealing.

In the end both of these amps are excellent and I dont think you can go wrong with either one.
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 31

Comfy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Posts
1,328
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
if you are getting a PPX3 for low impedence headphones I would recommend the SLAM version


I know that my Grados are low impedance, but what about the K 701s? I haven't really understood if those are low or high impedance. Difficult to drive, is what everyone says.. =)

And another thing: Is a PPX3-6SN7 with 5687 tube adapters technically a SLAM?
confused.gif


Thanks!
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 31

PFKMan23

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Posts
3,349
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
nd another thing: Is a PPX3-6SN7 with 5687 tube adapters technically a SLAM?
confused.gif


Thanks!



Yes a PPX3 6SN7 with 5687 outputs is still a PPX3 SLAM. IMO yes I'd consider the 701s low impedence, that said I'd go the tube adapter route rather than having default sockets being the 9 pin mini 5687...
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 31

Comfy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Posts
1,328
Likes
12
Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif


I think I'm going take the PPX3 route. Waiting for Mikhail to respond my e-mail at the moment... =)

Just received the AKG K701s today, btw. Listening to my 4th track or so, and the soundstage is breathtaking. Listening to some M83 and feeling like I was standing on the edge of a mountain cliff...
eek.gif
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 31

BrianS

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Posts
868
Likes
10
i love my mpx3 if that counts for anything, btw its 6cg7 version

i will be getting a zhaolu/lavry/storm digital to go along with it too
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 31

Gabe Logan

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Posts
1,393
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
Thanks Gabe, that helped a lot.

As you also own the DAC I am going to get, I'd like to ask you another couple questions:

Is it possible to place the PPX3 on top of the Zhaolu DAC? Or is the Zhaolu too small, or the PPX3 too heavy, or would it overheat the DAC or something?

What do you think of the synergy between Zhaolu and PPX3?



It probably is not a good idea to place the amp on top of the dac since it will be blocking the vents on the Zhalou.Even though the Zhalou does not get that hot i opted to leave them seperate.It would be awesome if side vents were made instead.

I personally like the Zhaolu,PPX3 combo for rock which is which is what i mainly listen to.The great thing that i only recently have goten used to is tube swaping which is allowing me to get that hard hitting more forward sound that i like but then i can change to another tube and get that more warmer more extended sound.

If you do get the PPX3 don't do what i did and wait forever to get other tubes.
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 31

Gabe Logan

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Posts
1,393
Likes
11
Ya and i agree with sacd that the PPX3 and that dac will more certainly tame those grado highs and can make those long listening sesssions more enjoyable
biggrin.gif
.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #15 of 31

Comfy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Posts
1,328
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The Mapletree ear+ is also a very good headphone amp for low impedence headphones .... IMO. But, the SLAM PPX3 is more versatile with higher impedence headphones if you ever go that route. I have compared these two amps head to head and I like the SLAM a little better. The SLAM has a richer and warmer sound that takes the edge off of the grados better .... but the SLAM still remains every bit as fast and revealing.


How does the basic PPX3-6SN7 compare to the Mapletree Ear+ HD Purist with K701s?
Will the tube adapters and tubes suffice to turn a basic PPX3-6SN7 into a SLAM?
Will I spend much more money on tubes with the PPX3 than what I would with a MAD EAR?

Thanks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top