PPX3-6sn7 or Earmax Pro: Which is tubier?
Feb 24, 2006 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

seefeel

100+ Head-Fier
Between these two amps which one would you say has a more fat, tubie, round, sound? Looking for fat powerful bass, liquid midrange, and rolled off highs.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 5
I think it is the EarMax Pro. It sounds exactly what tubes give to it, slow and tuneful sounding. I guess PPX3 just provides more energy to the headphone, so it should be faster and more accurate. It really depends on what musics you prefer the most usually. I am always enjoying EarMax Pro on all the vocals presented. It sounds like magic, very musical and emotional. I spend lost of time on the EarMax Pro. I compared it with GS1 and Black Cube. I still prefer EarMax Pro for the vocals. If you like classical music the most, you may not like the EarMax Pro.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by seefeel
Between these two amps which one would you say has a more fat, tubie, round, sound? Looking for fat powerful bass, liquid midrange, and rolled off highs.

They both have a tubey sound but the Earmax Pro probably has more of that rolled off fat sound that you are looking for.

In terms of the PPX3, the 6CG7 version sounds tubier than the cleaner 6SN7.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
They both have a tubey sound but the Earmax Pro probably has more of that rolled off fat sound that you are looking for.

In terms of the PPX3, the 6CG7 version sounds tubier than the cleaner 6SN7.

I think the sound you get out of the ppx3 depends on the tube set you use. The ppx3-6sn7 outfitted with the warmer, richer and more relaxed sounding RCA 6sn7's would probably give you what you are looking for. The ppx3 also has an advantage ..... with the new tube socket adapters that are available from Singlepower, the sound will be even easier to alter to your liking. Furthermore, the nos tube choices available with the socket adapters for the Singlepower amps are quite inexpensive compared to the prices of the better nos tube types in the Ear Max or ppx3-6sn7.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 5
EMP has the tubiest sound.The Singlepower amps are much faster but smooth sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back