PPX slam and the HD650
Aug 25, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #16 of 61
1. The use of the 5687s which add a more clean and fast sound with greater impact over the 6cg7s. If you were to have bought one new the powwer supply would have also been beefed up to accomodate the use of these more powerful tubes. It utilizes the Solen 1 cap, which allows the amp to takea full advantgae of the 5687s. However even so, given that many SP power supplies are overbuilt, you'll be fine.

2. 5687s offer increased dynamics and punch compared to the 6cg7s

As far as this tube magic goes, depending on the tubes used, there can also be very neutral combinations such as using 6BX7GTs as output tubes. That is a very clean sounding combination whcih is quite different than the lushness often assocaited with tubes.

Aug 25, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I'm a Singlepower noob. I bought the PPX (non SLAM) version used, picked it up last night. Pardon my ignorance if you already explained this, but what is the difference with the SLAM:

1) What is added to make it a slam?
2) How big a difference/what kind of difference does it make over non slam.

I'd like to know this too. I've done search after search looking for what makes a SLAM a SLAM but have never found any coherent and decisive run down or explanation of this. Also, the web site does not offer SLAM info either unless I don't see it.

Aug 25, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #19 of 61
Geez, how did I miss that? I did tons of searches of this before. I'm a search idiot. Thanks!

EDIT: You know, I have read that. It offers explanation but as far as what parts are changed and such it would be nice to know exactly what the changes are.

Aug 25, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
..."

As far as this tube magic goes, depending on the tubes used, there can also be very neutral combinations such as using 6BX7GTs as output tubes. That is a very clean sounding combination whcih is quite different than the lushness often assocaited with tubes."

Yes, the along the road a bit worn expression "tube magic" is still from time to time associated with: no bass, recessed treble and a generally slow presentation. Nothing could be more wrong in a modern, quality implementation. Again, the choice of tubes is critical for the result. At least in my MPX3.

Aug 25, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Geez, how did I miss that? I did tons of searches of this before. I'm a search idiot. Thanks!

EDIT: You know, I have read that. It offers explanation but as far as what parts are changed and such it would be nice to know exactly what the changes are.

I'm not the best searcher either.

I wish there was an idiots guide to different options, but I would assume the circuit board is changed which houses the tube sockets. I'll have to call Singlepower and find out if I can change that in the field, so I don't have to send this wonderful sounding amp away. I want to get the SLAM.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

BTW, thanks for the link

Aug 25, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I'm not the best searcher either.

I wish there was an idiots guide to different options, but I would assume the circuit board is changed which houses the tube sockets. I'll have to call Singlepower and find out if I can change that in the field, so I don't have to send this wonderful sounding amp away. I want to get the SLAM.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

BTW, thanks for the link

As far as I know: Nowadays - the SLAM option has become a user’s choice by means of adapters, and not so much a factory, permanently, installed 9-pin socket feature (with accompanying slightly different circuit, besides the different pin-out). It is all in the adapter, is it not? Correct me if I am wrong.

Aug 25, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
As far as I know: Nowadays - the SLAM option has become a user’s choice by means of adapters, and not so much a factory, permanently, installed 9-pin socket feature (with accompanying slightly different circuit, besides the different pin-out). It is all in the adapter, is it not? Correct me if I am wrong.

It really depends on the amp, as you can go either way. I eprsonally prefer the use of adapters, but depending on the model you get you very well still might get default 5687 9 pin mini sockets. And no I wouldn't call adapters the norm. In the case of the PPX3 SLAM, if you were to get that model, you'd also get the Solen 1 stage cap, as it would allow for you to take full advantage of the 5687s. So while alot of it is in the adapters, there are some overall circuit optimizations that are utlized when talking about the 5687s (as opposed to the 6cg7s or the 6sn7s). But as a more succinct statement, no it's not all in the adapters.

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 61
Can the solen 1 adaptors be compatible with the octal gain tube socket?

what if the PPX Slam is configured to use 6sn7 tubes as an option, would i still be able to use the 5687 tube?

Aug 25, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
Can the solen 1 adaptors be compatible with the octal gain tube socket?

what if the PPX Slam is configured to use 6sn7 tubes as an option, would i still be able to use the 5687 tube?

ok.. the Solen 1 is a power capacitor, it is not a tube adapter. They are completely different items. The Solen 1 cap will be inside the chasis, the tube adapters are external devices. But yes, if you have a 6sn7 for gain the Solen 1 cap is compatible. And yes you can still use 5687s if you have octal (this is the socket that the 6sn7 uses) sockets, either just in the gain/driver position or in all 3 positions.

Aug 25, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 61
Thanks! I think I'm going to call them to get mine SLAM. I have the PPX. It seems like the SLAM is a "must".

Aug 25, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #27 of 61
One thing you won't get using the 5687 adapters on a standard PPX, is the "texture control". This is part of the PPX3 SLAM amp as it comes from the factory. Some may not feel this is a big deal, but I have found it to be instrumental in tailoring the sound of the amp to the headphone / recording combination. Adding this feature after the fact is not inexpensive, and should be considered if comtimplating upgrading a PPX to a full SLAM model.

- augustwest

Aug 25, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #28 of 61
Hey Rob,

I remember a while back you said that you didn't like the PPX3, what has changed? But I'm glad you liked it, and I'm happy to see that my former amp is now in the hands of a guy who enjoys it.

Aug 25, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #29 of 61
Thanks everyone for the help so far...
Do any of you know whether adding a second input would degrade the SQ or be expensive/not worth it? (i'm considering building a second FM tuner centered rig and am wondering whehter i should use the amp or keep my headfive for the purpose)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back