PPAv2 vs. M3
Dec 2, 2005 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

divie23

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Its been about 4 years since I've last posted on this forum and its great to catch up with the posts and the latest happening in the DIY community.

Right, bite the bullet time. I've just recently purchased a pair of HD650s and want to build a new amp especially for them. I have no problem in terms of DIY experience and money is not an issue.

Which would provide the better sound, M3 or PPAv2?
It seems the M3 is more of a recent amp so I have no knowledge regarding how it competes with the PPA (version 1 was around when I was last here!).

Thank you all in advance.

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, I'll chime in here...

They're definitely different beasts. I now have STEPS powered configurations of both (in matching Par Metals cases), have upgraded from the HD580/Oehlbach to the HD650/Zu, and my new source arrived yesterday... Wahoo!!!
1133394930_denon_dvm_4800_0131.jpg

So I was thinking it would be fun to do a new shoot-out. I'll probably sit down with both and come up with a fresh set of observations some time this weekend. I'm not sure if the results will change, but it should be fun!
600smile.gif

That said, I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. They offer different things. The PPA is an amazing amp... fast and detailed, with extended highs, strong mids, and strong and extended bass. The M^3 has a warm, full midrange, with highs that are detailed, yet come across a little smoother, and nice bass extension. Both are solid performers, but a lot comes with synergy with the rest of your system, and the kind of presentation you're looking for.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 4
A bit of technical perspective from one of the designers:

PPAv2 fits Hammond 1455N1601 or Lansing MicroPak C, D, or E style cases which are relatively small and cheap, and is compatible with Tangent's NiMH battery board. M³ requires a larger case and is not battery compatible, but has a simpler, studlier, easier to build circuit with no compromises for battery or small case compatibility.

If you want the smaller case or battery compatibility go with PPAv2, otherwise M³ is the better choice, in my opinion.

You might also consider a Dynalo or Dynahi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back