PPAv2 Bass Boost
Oct 25, 2005 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TiredNinja

Head-Fier
On the ppav2 im not sure of the value I should use for C7 (bass boost). im looking for something that will enhance rather than overpower the sound.
Thanks!
orphsmile.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Also, with adding the bass boost to the PPA, do I need the R7's?

I have to wonder if Tangent ever feels like he wasted his time publishing this page---->
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/ppa/amp2/tweaks.html
wink.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

In cooperation with the op-amp, R7 and C7 in the PPA form a type of "shelving filter", raising the output level of low frequencies: in other words, it boosts the bass. The advantage of this type of filter over other circuits is that it is completely bypassable and it works in conjunction with the op-amp circuit which had to be there anyway so it only adds two components.

R7 raises the level of the highest bass boost:

bass-boost-r7.png

In PPAv2, we've added pads at the front of the board for a second ALPS RK27 pot, which can take the place of R7, giving adjustable bass boost. There's no good reason to use both R7 and the pot at the same time. From here on, though, I'll refer only to R7, since the pot is just an adjustable resistor in this configuration. The only tricky part about adding it is that you need to run two wires from the pads marked BBR to the R7R pads when using this pot. The left channel is already wired up on the board. (We couldn't do the right channel for you due to layout constraints.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back