PPA v2 with STEPS
Jul 22, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... I guess it would be best to find an isolation mini jack. Any suggestions?

I was wondering how long it would take you to figure out washers look like crap.
wink.gif

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300829.pdf

the major caveat is the black "ring" around the jack but it might work out pretty good with the whole silver and black thing you have going on there

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #50 of 56
My PPA:

PPA_1.jpg

PPA_2.jpg

PCB: DIY
PSU: 4x Elna SilmicII 470uF/35V - 2x Panasonic FC 220uF/100V - 2x Wima 0.22uF/63V - 2x 0.1uF/63V
Opam: L/R use opa134, G use opa227, wima blackbox 0.15uf/63V, vishay resister (not same as schematic) ... bias to 1mA
Buffer: Rout = 2.7ohm (vishay). BD139/BD140 with heat sink. Bias to 30mA

Thanks Advanced to FallenAngle!!!
SLmutmut.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #51 of 56
Hello,
I've never built an electrical project. Have done lots of mechanical. I built a 550HP Porsche Motor. I converted the Mechanical Fuel Injection system on it to Electronic Engine management. Lots of other motors. Have lots of tools. Have done some Xbox mods, know how to solder pretty well.
Just purchased some Learning Electronics books to read.

OK, so here's the question, would this be too big to tackle for a first project?

I don't want to do a CMOY, because I have no need for one. I am playing with DACs, and headamps now, so I am interested in this gadget. Would like to do some Tube Head Amps and spkr amps in the future also.

Nice thread!

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #52 of 56
I've built a few pimetas and 1 ppa (v1) so far. the ppa v2 is more soldering (I think) and maybe more hair pulling if you have to swap out transistors. try to test them before you solder them if you can. try to avoid having to troubleshoot by using known good parts (sounds obvious but it IS true).

given that the design 'works' and you are simply stuffing the board, what's NOT to work - IF you use known good parts.

I recently tested a resistor to 2x its value. yes, it was carbon but still - that could have costed me a LOT of time, just trusting the marked value. with good higher end low tolerance parts, that's not likely to happen but it WOULD take a lot of your time to find such 'bugs' in a circuit.

there is no surface mount soldering and nothing hard about the ppa - other than the usual mech panel work, which it seems you would be more than able to handle.

go for it.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #53 of 56
Hello,
I have a nice soldering sation and a Fluke 87. Would I need anything else? Is an Oscilloscope necessary? Or is it good to have? I really use things like this to learn stuff. Like when someone shows an Oscilloscope sweep, I'm clueless. My deficit would come into play if I needed to troubleshoot it. That's obviously a skill I would like to learn also.

Thanx!

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #54 of 56
so far (knock simulated woodgrain) all that I've built could be t-shot with just inspection and parts replacement, resoldering and such like that. I have not NEEDED to shoot with a scope quite yet. like I said before, take your time, assemble with known good parts and the design does all the work for you.

if you were doing new things, yes, more test equip would be a must. but simply building a kit, no, I don't think you NEED more than assembly level tools (clippers, iron and such like that).

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so far (knock simulated woodgrain) all that I've built could be t-shot with just inspection and parts replacement, resoldering and such like that. I have not NEEDED to shoot with a scope quite yet. like I said before, take your time, assemble with known good parts and the design does all the work for you.

if you were doing new things, yes, more test equip would be a must. but simply building a kit, no, I don't think you NEED more than assembly level tools (clippers, iron and such like that).

Thanx!

I'm a Solaris fan myslelf. learned on Slackware, bad in da day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back