PPA Power Supply
Apr 27, 2003 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 127

morsel

1000+ Head-Fier
We are working on a capacitance multiplier power supply for the PPA. Here are a couple of links for reference:

http://sound.westhost.com/project15.htm
http://www.gmweb.btinternet.co.uk/jlhcapmult.htm

There are 3 versions: single, dual, and single with dual darlingtons. Two current sources and a zener have replaced a resistor or pi filter from the original circuit to limit the maximum output voltage. The dual darlington versions use complimentary pairs for better negative rail performance. The bridge rectifiers are bypassed with capacitors for reduced noise.

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 127
attachment.php

Apr 27, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 127
Since many people feel strongly about their pet rectifiers, we decided to go with discrete barrel types so you can use whatever you want. Generic silicon should work just fine. PPL favors Schottkys.

Testing and refinement must take place before we can comment on the specs of the power supply. Requests and suggestions are welcome.

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 127
You need to do simulations at the very least, and then build this and measure it to see how it compares to modern integrated regulators (which are cheaper and take less space).

Jung superregulator has space and power requirements that would not make it portable friendly, though space requirements are probably similar to this discrete design (at least if you only use positive regulator and then rail-split).

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 127
Eric: PPL and I are fond of capacitance multipliers. We want a power supply that will play nicely with the PPA and other amps. Aos: don't worry, we will test it extensively. Whit: nice thread, thanks for the pointer. Yejun: PPL wanted to do as you suggest, but I said it would be too big and expensive. If we can't get the results we want then we will reconsider.

Apr 28, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 127
Wasn't the PPA supposed to be an amp done ppl's way?

Apr 28, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 127
i think the problem with pure capacitance multipliers is unable to adjust output voltage. Though opamp have a very wide range operation voltage, i think it will be best to adjust power supply to the most optimal voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back