PPA Parallel Cap Resonance
Feb 21, 2005 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Whit

100+ Head-Fier
I've read that having several parallel low esr capacitors of different values(or constructions) can cause unwanted resonances. I see that this has been dealt with partially in the ppa with the addition of R8 to add some dampening but what about the parallel combo of C1, C2, and C3?

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 8
A classic article on this subject is Picking Capacitors by Walter G. Jung and Richard Marsh.

I've always wondered why their "specific recommendations" differ from what is done in PPA, Pimeta, etc? In any case, they recommend dissimilar parallel caps.

Feb 22, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whit
I've read that having several parallel low esr capacitors of different values(or constructions) can cause unwanted resonances. I see that this has been dealt with partially in the ppa with the addition of R8 to add some dampening but what about the parallel combo of C1, C2, and C3?

quote from tangent's part selection guide:
This resistor (R8) forms an RC-low pass filter for the op-amp power rails in conjunction with C4||C5. (-> noise isolation)

Where have you read about the unwanted resonances ?

Feb 22, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinchen
as far as I understand the article it's about using caps in the signal path and not about caps for power rail bypassing

One of their caps in Figure 17 is a 330 uF aluminum electrolytic. You're probably right, I'm too backed up with work tonight to reread the article, but does anyone in their right mind use such a cap in the signal path? I remembered them using this cap, I just assumed it was for the rails.

Feb 22, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

does anyone in their right mind use such a cap in the signal path?

Sure. Several amps (particularly single-ended class A designs) require output capacitors. Since the load is low-impedance, you need a high cap value.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Whit: I don't think this is anything to worry about. If anything, you have it backwards. Using different caps in parallel should help cover any deficiencies in ESR as it is unlikely that all of the caps have high ESR at the same frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back