PPA is working!
Jun 27, 2004 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MN Ham Phones

100+ Head-Fier
Basic amp is done (rev1.1) and working good. Now it's time to bias into class A and get bass boost working. Then order a Par Metals case and finish her up.

Had some minor trouble at first. Passed voltage checks, but OP-amps were getting warm. Found one of the temp bass boost bypass jumpers had opened, causing it to go unstable. Also had lots of noise with only one buffer in each channel. Plugged all four in each and was met with glorious sound and zero noise. Offset is less than one tenth of a millivolt.

Wired for a gain of four. To be used with Grados. Volume is plenty loud without being excessive so it's about right. Also drives a pair of MDR-V6s ok. Haven't tried my 4p's yet.

It's my first amp, but not my first electronic project. Better pics will follow once I clean up the lab and get it cased.

It's been a terrific project. Thanks to all of you for sharing your wisdom with me and others.

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Congrats -- we'll definitely need more baby pictures once you get the case. I was really tempted by a Par-Metal case myself, but opted for one of the big new Hammonds. What sort of parts did you choose for caps, jacks, etc?

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 3
All safe and standard choices. Selected items shown.

Ha3-5002 buffers
8610 Op amps
Vishay/Dale resistors
Neutrik locking jack (for safety, would rather have something different)
Panasonic FC series main caps
Kobiconn phono jacks

Gain of 4
Bass boost gain of 2
255 Hz center
180 Hz shelf

Bass boost is a tad stronger than it need be. May tweak.
Could probably use a tad more amp gain. Darn close as is.
Quite pleased with sonic quality.

TEPS supplyregulator died during initial testing of amp.
Dumped 50+ volts to amp and survived! (OP amps got quite warm).
Replaced regulator and all seems OK.

Again, sorry for the crappy pic. Will do better when it is cased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back