PPA is oh so close to finished! (Big pictures)
May 26, 2004 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drewd

Banned
My new PPA with the STEPS power supply is finished enough to listen to! I'm just waiting on the other nine buffers and a pot for the variable bass boost, then it's done! With just one buffer per channel, it still sounds absolutely wonderful!

ppadrew1.jpg

ppadrew2.jpg

ppadrew3.jpg

ppadrew4.jpg

It's in a Par-Metal case. The LEDs are actually bright blue (clear when off), but the flash from the camera pretty much kills them. I also still need to get a couple of screws for the Neutrik jack and finish the standoffs for the PPA board (it's just attached by the volume control). I have one of Tangent's crossfeed boards ready to go too!

Did I mention that it sounds great?
580smile.gif

May 26, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 5
is that a ppa v1.1a board i see there .... ppl has tweaked it a bit.

May 26, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme4099
is that a ppa v1.1a board i see there .... ppl has tweaked it a bit.

Yes indeedy! And did I mention that it really sounds great?
580smile.gif

May 26, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Congrats Drewd, that is one nice looking amplifier you got there. I have yet to finish mine....
confused.gif
. I've got all these exotic parts installed (Black Gates FK's, Solen's, Elantec EL2009's) and I have yet to do the case work and connectors. How does it compare to the Pimeta you recently built?

May 26, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho
Congrats Drewd, that is one nice looking amplifier you got there. I have yet to finish mine....
confused.gif
. I've got all these exotic parts installed (Black Gates FK's, Solen's, Elantec EL2009's) and I have yet to do the case work and connectors. How does it compare to the Pimeta you recently built?

Thanks! Well, I think I did say that it sounds great
580smile.gif
The two biggest differences that I can tell right off are that the PPA has much more clear and well defined bass and a greater sense of clarity throughout the audio spectrum. Like the Stereophile guys say, it's as if a layer of grunge was removed from the music. Not that the Pimeta was grungy, but you get the picture
biggrin.gif

Right now I'm listening to it with the HD-580s - my SR-125s are in the shop after I accidentally ran 15 volts through one transducer. I guess I should have used a voltmeter instead!

I'm looking forward to adding the other nine buffers. I notice that with a single buffer, extremely dynamic bass passages have just a hint of distortion at high volume. But at reasonable volumes and reasonable dymanics, it sounds extremely good as it sits. But I'm sure that I mentioned that!

Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back