Powering TOTL planar headphones with an amp and DAP
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vicsimk

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Currently rocking Meze Lirics with a Chord Mojo 2, source is either Roon on my desktop (all FLACs) or my iphone (FLACs on onkyo app). Previously owned Audeze i3s as well but found them fiddly. I'm ready to make the step up to 'end-game' open backs as I have more space in a new place now and can set some hardware up.

I've shortlisted and trialed 4 headphones the past 2 weeks:
1.Focal Utopia
2.Meze Elites
3.Final D8000 Pro
4.DCA Expanse
And I'm finding time to trial the LCD-5s and Abyss 1266 Phi TC as well. Of the 4 above, my favourites are probably the D8000s and Expanse- BUT the expanse gave me noticeable jaw ache after about 20mins so I'm on the fence.

I must admit I'm probably undereducated with regards to the finer details of the different types of amps, DACs and I've never owned a DAP either.
Genres I listen to are Rock (all sub-genres included), EDM and Rap.

Even though I haven't tried the Abyss I suspect based on numerous reviews I've read and my genre preferences it may be a top candidate. If not, I'll prob go for the Expanse (if I try again and feel like I can get used to the pressure) followed by the D800s.

Questions:
  • Amps - I've shortlisted a number of headphone amps; my understanding is that amps just have to deliver enough power to drive X headphone and any supposed effect on sound quality is a contentious point in the community. True?
  • DAC - Wild variety out there and the more I read the more bewildered I get. Is there a DAC type and/or brand out there that suits the 3 genres I like? I need help homing in on a few models
  • DAP - Is it possible to skip buying a desktop DAC, and just get a high powered DAP to connect to my amp and thats it? Sidethought here is I could use this DAP for my Meze Lirics at the office as well so I get more utility out of my hardware. If this is possible, which DAPs out there could work for the 1266s / D8000 / Expanse?
Budget: Excluding what I spend on headphones- US$10-15k max for amp + dac/dap

Would appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance audio experts 🙏

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 9
The Utopia 2022 sounds perfectly fine out of a Hugo2 and I imagine Mojo2. You may get away without needing an amplifier

It depends whether you are chasing 'the best' or a desktop solution. Or are replacing your entire chain. There are many variables.

There's no point getting a high power DAP if you are going to plug it into an amp anyway. A DAP is simply a DAC that has the portable player bits and interface/screen built into it so it is a "player".

You have a very healthy budget that mandates actually sitting in a brick and mortar store ; auditioning options and working out what works best in the chain. Try to futureproof so that whatever you purchase will be suitable for what you may upgrade to later down the track.

To be fair, if you're already rocking the Meze Lirics with the Mojo2 ... a 15k upgrade isn't really good value for money. Neither the Elite or the Utopia 2022 are hard to drive. You could very well purchase a Cayin C9 to attach to the Mojo and call it a day.

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi folks,

Currently rocking Meze Lirics with a Chord Mojo 2, source is either Roon on my desktop (all FLACs) or my iphone (FLACs on onkyo app). Previously owned Audeze i3s as well but found them fiddly. I'm ready to make the step up to 'end-game' open backs as I have more space in a new place now and can set some hardware up.

1.Focal Utopia
2.Meze Elites
3.Final D8000 Pro
4.DCA Expanse
And I'm finding time to trial the LCD-5s and Abyss 1266 Phi TC as well. Of the 4 above, my favourites are probably the D8000s and Expanse- BUT the expanse gave me noticeable jaw ache after about 20mins so I'm on the fence.

I must admit I'm probably undereducated with regards to the finer details of the different types of amps, DACs and I've never owned a DAP either.

Even though I haven't tried the Abyss I suspect based on numerous reviews I've read and my genre preferences it may be a top candidate. If not, I'll prob go for the Expanse (if I try again and feel like I can get used to the pressure) followed by the D800s.

Questions:
  • Amps - I've shortlisted a number of headphone amps; my understanding is that amps just have to deliver enough power to drive X headphone and any supposed effect on sound quality is a contentious point in the community. True?
  • DAC - Wild variety out there and the more I read the more bewildered I get. Is there a DAC type and/or brand out there that suits the 3 genres I like? I need help homing in on a few models
  • DAP - Is it possible to skip buying a desktop DAC, and just get a high powered DAP to connect to my amp and thats it? Sidethought here is I could use this DAP for my Meze Lirics at the office as well so I get more utility out of my hardware. If this is possible, which DAPs out there could work for the 1266s / D8000 / Expanse?

Get a used DAVE DAC 6.5k and a used Pass INT-25 for about $4.7k and for big power a Rag 2 used for about $950 - you can run speakers off either - and try a Rall CA-1a with the filters before u buy the cans

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 9
If you're even considering a DCA Expanse, it will want good, clean power. I have the Stealth's and it loves (and needs) power. Save the DAP for on-the-go listening with IEM's. At the level you are seeking to go, don't go cheap on the DAC either as every link in the chain is critical. Narrow down each area to a couple of targets then go to those threads and ask questions about the genre you are targeting. See what people are using to drive the target HP's to see if the HP's are sensitive to amp selection. Take your time and get info.

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 9
You need to pick out the headphone that you want and then decide on the amp requirements.Some daps May have enough power to do some of those headphones and still be used as your DAC. The expanse and the abyss headphone will require a lot more amplification than the others you mentioned.

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi folks,

1.Focal Utopia
2.Meze Elites
3.Final D8000 Pro
4.DCA Expanse

Questions:

I think would be better if you already decided which headphone you would bought. This way, it will be "more accurate" to decide which dac and amp that will push your headphone in the best way.

In general, for the price (around 6k) I think Rockna Wavelight should play your genres well as a DAC. The rest of the budget for a (very) nice amp, some cables (power cable, interconnect, headphone cable) and perhaps a DDC if you use laptop/pc as source.

Again, in general, Woo WA33, should match your music genres well as an Amp.

*This suggestion is without knowing which headphone you plan to buy*

DAP will never touch the level of desktop DAC/Amp at this price range.

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 9
Thank you all for chiming in! Yeap I think I need to settle on a headphone first before figuring out the chain, and at the moment its the LCD-5s that are leading.

Took the time to audition 3 headphones below on the WA23 Luna in a shop, with the source being the store's Ak SP3000 with my microsd containing my FLACs.
DCA Expanse
Audeze LCD-5
Abyss 1266 Phi TC

This time around, I did not enjoy the Expanse as much as I did previously especially after I tried the LCD-5s right after. I found the Expanse too neutral and lacking in bass in comparison to the LCD5s. I then gave the 1266s a whirl and tbh it was underwhelming- I think I've been reading too much hype about it online and honestly I cannot fathom why it gets the praise it does online?! Perhaps it'll fare better with a proper desktop DAC.

I'll be giving the Susvaras a go the next time I find time to audition, before probably ending up with the LCD-5s if nothing changes.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 9
The Utopia 2022 sounds perfectly fine out of a Hugo2 and I imagine Mojo2. You may get away without needing an amplifier

It depends whether you are chasing 'the best' or a desktop solution. Or are replacing your entire chain. There are many variables.

There's no point getting a high power DAP if you are going to plug it into an amp anyway. A DAP is simply a DAC that has the portable player bits and interface/screen built into it so it is a "player".

You have a very healthy budget that mandates actually sitting in a brick and mortar store ; auditioning options and working out what works best in the chain. Try to futureproof so that whatever you purchase will be suitable for what you may upgrade to later down the track.

To be fair, if you're already rocking the Meze Lirics with the Mojo2 ... a 15k upgrade isn't really good value for money. Neither the Elite or the Utopia 2022 are hard to drive. You could very well purchase a Cayin C9 to attach to the Mojo and call it a day.

I would say I'm chasing the 'best' possible set up, which I assume has to be a desktop solution. A bonus would be to use this X headphone in a portable setup (with an acceptable loss in fidelity) which is still better than my current 'portable' Meze Lirics+Mojo 2 setup at the office. The trouble with my office is that its all hotdesks so I can't leave gear lying around as I head in/out of the office daily.

Outside of the headphones I've auditioned/plan to audition - I am figuring out how to get my ears on electrostatics which are pretty challenging to audition over here in Singapore. I found a shop which has the Warwick Aperio/Bravuras so will try them out as well if possible. But I think this system or the Stax are definitely not portable

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 9
I would say I'm chasing the 'best' possible set up, which I assume has to be a desktop solution. A bonus would be to use this X headphone in a portable setup (with an acceptable loss in fidelity) which is still better than my current 'portable' Meze Lirics+Mojo 2 setup at the office. The trouble with my office is that its all hotdesks so I can't leave gear lying around as I head in/out of the office daily.

Outside of the headphones I've auditioned/plan to audition - I am figuring out how to get my ears on electrostatics which are pretty challenging to audition over here in Singapore. I found a shop which has the Warwick Aperio/Bravuras so will try them out as well if possible. But I think this system or the Stax are definitely not portable
Add the Cayin C9 to your Mojo 2. This pairs well with many headphones. This will work well with your Lirics because the scale very well. If you don’t have to have closed back look into the HEK series I love the HEKSEs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back