Powering the DT1990: Tube or SS?
Dec 3, 2018 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Earbones

500+ Head-Fier
I was just ambushed by a good deal on the DT1990 on Amazon, so these are incoming.

What kind of power does the DT1990 seem to prefer? Tubes or solid state? Any consensus on that? Any owners care to weigh in?

Cheers!

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 10
i have a DT1990 Pro, solid state is the way to go. believe me.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 10
I think that the DT 1990s are excellent headphones. There are a vast number of SS and tube options, not to mention the countless combinations of components upstream. I am not able to make comparisons and would not consider discounting the opinions of others. What I am able to say is that I find these headphones to be excellent when paired with the two tube amps that I possess. I am confident that there are likely better parings but I have lived with my current set up for a few years and have no urge to make changes.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 10
I agree, there is no "bad" in this hobby of audio stuff. only "different"
I've tried my DT1990 pros on tube and SS, and i personally prefer SS. but i did enjoy them on tube.
depends on the person :)

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 10
I listened to my DT1990's when I had them on both SS and tube amps. I much preferred them driven with a solid state amp. Try them both and chose which sounds best to you

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 10
I like a more dynamic and open sound, which is what the DT1990’s are. They are not the most open headphone I’ve heard but they hit a sweet spot to my ears. The DT1990’s are just one of those headphones that just don’t gain much when driven by tubes. But other may feel differently about that so it’s really a matter of sound preference.

When I listened to these headphones with tubes I felt they softened the sound to much for my liking. They lost what makes the DT1990 a great all around headphone and that’s dynamism. Every note comes across clear, detailed, and with a lot of separation. It’s pretty amazing to get that at this price point.

My next headphones will be the ZMF Auteurs. Unlike the DT1990’s these headphones sound outstanding with tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back