Powering amp meant for car in home rig [Need to ground amp]
Jun 25, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #31 of 34
Your plan is fine, I'd get rid of the extra wires to keep things neat, but what you want to do should be fine. If you have a DMM, you can test the 12V wires to see which ones are on the same rail. If there are two 12V rails listed on the PSU case, I'd trust that over some random website. Often an entire rail is dedicated to the motherboard connector, but it's not always set up this way. If you have a DMM, test to see which 12V wires are connected to each other and gang them together to connect your amp. There's no need to remove the extra wires, just make sure you don't accidentally short anything.

Of course you can also connect the green and black wires permanently, this will also work fine to keep the PSU on whenever the rear switch is on.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #32 of 34
Bah, it didn't work. PSU powered on just fine, but the amplifier didn't turn on and the shakers didn't do anything. I twisted together the silver leads of the green wire and a black wire, and I twisted the leads of 2 yellow wires together and the leads of 2 black wires together. I hooked the 2 black wires to "GND" and the 2 yellow wires to "+12V". I left the green and black wire in the air. Hmm...I guess I could try the other 2 PSUs...

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That should work. Do you have a multimeter you can measure the voltage with?

Unfortunately I don't. I'll try the other PSUs tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back