Powerful DAP recommendation.
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #16 of 31
Why not get whatever DAP you want and a Fiio A5 or Cayin C5?
exactly as seanwee mentioned, portability. it wont fit in any pocket i have on me unless my ski jacket with the one HUGE goggle pocket xD

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #17 of 31
The Bit Opus #1s will cut that price in half, but is a wired only one trick pony.
I'm not sure either will push planars to their full potential.
Actually, personally I think the Opus #1 suck big time. I started out with the AK70 and the HE-400i, it sounded great. But because I wanted more storage space I side-graded (read downgraded) to the Opus #1 which I still have. Vivian Ward would say "big mistake, huge!" :L3000:.

If I go portable again with a "budget", I would buy a second hand AK300/320 and later on the matching amp.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 31
Actually, personally I think the Opus #1 suck big time. I started out with the AK70 and the HE-400i, it sounded great. But because I wanted more storage space I side-graded (read downgraded) to the Opus #1 which I still have. Vivian Ward would say "big mistake, huge!" :L3000:.

If I go portable again with a "budget", I would buy a second hand AK300/320 and later on the matching amp.
I'd guess you didn't like it's 2d soundstage and lifeless sound. Am I correct?

The 1S and 1 metal edition sound much better in comparison.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 31
Are you saying the Opus sucks in sound quality, or are you referring to something else? And are you saying the sound sucks in comparison to the AK, or is this a general statement?
On one hand I guess I can kinda understand. I have the Opus #1s, and in comparison to my previous Shanling m2s, the m2s definitely sucks in terms of sound quality. On the other hand, I don't understand because the #1s definitely doesn't suck. I've never heard the AK model you're referring to, but we're both comparing products from somewhat significantly different price brackets.
What exactly about the sound of the Opus #1 did you hate?

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 31
I'd guess you didn't like it's 2d soundstage and lifeless sound. Am I correct?

The 1S and 1 metal edition sound much better in comparison.
Spot on, I couldn't said it better myself.
Mmm, now I'm curious how the upgraded models sound :.b

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #22 of 31
Are you saying the Opus sucks in sound quality, or are you referring to something else? And are you saying the sound sucks in comparison to the AK, or is this a general statement?
On one hand I guess I can kinda understand. I have the Opus #1s, and in comparison to my previous Shanling m2s, the m2s definitely sucks in terms of sound quality. On the other hand, I don't understand because the #1s definitely doesn't suck. I've never heard the AK model you're referring to, but we're both comparing products from somewhat significantly different price brackets.
What exactly about the sound of the Opus #1 did you hate?
I'm only refering to its sound compared to the AK70 (never heard any other player). Altho I prefer the gui of the AK, It is closely followed by the Opus. I also like the big screen of the Opus and its support for 2 SD cards. So if indeed the other models sounds better, I might prefer them over an AK player :.)

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #23 of 31
I've not heard the original AK70, just the AK70ii and I'd rate the Opus 1 metal edition slightly lower. The N5ii would be on par but with a different tonality.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #24 of 31
Not really looking for a used pair.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #25 of 31
I'm only refering to its sound compared to the AK70 (never heard any other player). Altho I prefer the gui of the AK, It is closely followed by the Opus. I also like the big screen of the Opus and its support for 2 SD cards. So if indeed the other models sounds better, I might prefer them over an AK player :.)
Have you heard the newer ak products?

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #26 of 31
Oct 15, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #27 of 31
I've heard the AK70ii, A&Norma SR15, A&Futura SE100, A&Ultima SP1000, Kann, and AK300.
awesome, i'm super interested in the AK100II, AK70II and SR15. I've grown out of my FiiO X5III :p im looking for something a bit better.
do you know if the 3 AK's i've mentioned can push heavy headphones unbalanced+balanced. most of my headphones are running 3.5. (beyer, etc..) so hopefully its adequate enough for that.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #28 of 31
awesome, i'm super interested in the AK100II, AK70II and SR15. I've grown out of my FiiO X5III :p im looking for something a bit better.
do you know if the 3 AK's i've mentioned can push heavy headphones unbalanced+balanced. most of my headphones are running 3.5. (beyer, etc..) so hopefully its adequate enough for that.
The SR15 is a noticeable upgrade over the AK70ii and I've never heard the 100ii.

Power wise I really have no idea :p

You'll have to refer to their spec sheet.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #29 of 31
The SR15 is a noticeable upgrade over the AK70ii and I've never heard the 100ii.

Power wise I really have no idea :p

You'll have to refer to their spec sheet.
AK spec sheets are terribly vague lol.the SR15 doesnt mention power output. just that you get "hi-fi performance" lol which we all know is marketing bs :p

from what i can see the AK70II can do Balance 4.0Vrms / Unbalance 2.0Vrms with 0 load... hmm not sure how to calculate that if my DT1990 Pros are 250 :S

ak100II are Unbalance 2.0Vrms / Balance 1.7Vrms (Condition No Load), significantly lower than the 70II.. so most likely will not buy these.. unless they can power my headphones and sound better than the AK70II.

and the SR15's are Unbalance 2.0Vrms / Balance 4.0Vrms (Condition No Load). same as the 70II.

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #30 of 31
AK spec sheets are terribly vague lol.the SR15 doesnt mention power output. just that you get "hi-fi performance" lol which we all know is marketing bs :p

from what i can see the AK70II can do Balance 4.0Vrms / Unbalance 2.0Vrms with 0 load... hmm not sure how to calculate that if my DT1990 Pros are 250 :S

ak100II are Unbalance 2.0Vrms / Balance 1.7Vrms (Condition No Load), significantly lower than the 70II.. so most likely will not buy these.. unless they can power my headphones and sound better than the AK70II.

and the SR15's are Unbalance 2.0Vrms / Balance 4.0Vrms (Condition No Load). same as the 70II.
In that case I don't think you'll be happy with their SE performance. It was about as powerful as the N5ii which does 150mw/32 ohms

Power outputs with no load are next to useless as they can look very high but are only quite weak under load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back