powerful classical music
Aug 30, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring

I can fully second that. Get a recording of a good performance, as poor ones won't restitute the sheer power and intellectual savagery of the music as much. Boulez/Cleveland 1969 could be a good pick, very precise and controlled. I also like Ancerl/Czech Philharmonic a lot, in my opinion a tad more violent and thrilling than Boulez, but recording's quality is a bit low (maybe a recent remastering could have improved it).

Somewhat a precursor, Bruckner's 9th and its Scherzo is also among my favourites, but I'm still looking for the best recording (both artistic-wise and sound-wise). Furtwängler's, back in the 40's, has a sense of urge and tragic (maybe due to the raging war) I've not found elsewhere yet, the only flaw is the (really bad) sound's quality. Alas, haven't found the same emotion in other recordings yet.

Aug 30, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 24
For seriously powerful music, nothing beats Mahler's 6th Symphony. Just be sure you get one of the recordings with the Scherzo second (ahead of the Andante). A good one that won't break the budget is the Levi / Atlanta Symphony Orchestra recording (Telarc). It's usually pretty well priced at Amazon.

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #18 of 24
Beethoven symphonies no. 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9. Any of the well known versions will do (Bernstein, Karajan, Zinman, Barenboim, Harnoncourt, etc.)

For Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique, I highly, highly recommend the Paul Paray/Detroit Symphony recording on Mercury Living Presence (now available as a hybrid SACD for 5.99 from yourmusic.com). Incredibly good sound, and a thrilling performance.

Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto (Emperor) - I am partial to Fleisher/Szell.

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
good....
now try Mahler's 8th Symphony

Any recording in particular you are recommend Grano..?
I like this one too, and was wondering which version you refer to above
cool.gif

edit, because mine stinks..and is shrill because it was remastered poorly..and would love another source for this awe inspiring piece..let me know.

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #22 of 24
Excellent recommendations people.

Let me add-
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.4
Stravinsky: The Firebird (Infernal Dance of All Kastchei's Subjects)
Strauss: Also Sprach Zarthustra
Bach: Toccata and Fugue in d minor
Saint-Saens: "Organ" Symphony No.3

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Excellent recommendations people.

Let me add-
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.4
Stravinsky: The Firebird (Infernal Dance of All Kastchei's Subjects)
Strauss: Also Sprach Zarthustra
Bach: Toccata and Fugue in d minor
Saint-Saens: "Organ" Symphony No.3

Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d minor BWV. 565 is probably the most popular organ piece ever written. If you're looking for something just as majestic and powerful, I'd highly recommend checking out the "other" Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV. 538. This is one of my favorite headphone testing pieces due to the extremely large dynamic rnage used by the organ. Make sure you get a good recording though!

Sep 1, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by groovemoose
Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d minor BWV. 565 is probably the most popular organ piece ever written. If you're looking for something just as majestic and powerful, I'd highly recommend checking out the "other" Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV. 538. This is one of my favorite headphone testing pieces due to the extremely large dynamic rnage used by the organ. Make sure you get a good recording though!

Listen to it on a nice pair of speakers to get the most out of the piece!

The "other" T & F in d is also a great piece. I pretty much forgot about its existence until you mentioned it! Thanks a lot. I highly recommend all of Bach's organ music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back