Powered subwoofer to go with my KEF Q300s?
Feb 4, 2015 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NilsOlav

Head-Fier
I have a pair of KEF Q300s hooked up to an Emotiva Mini-x a-100, which connects to my computer via a Behringer UCA202. I've read that you want to pick a certain sized subwoofer to properly complement your speakers. Suggestions? I should also mention the room these speakers are in is rather small (less than 100 sq. ft.). I also have no idea how I would hook up the subwoofer to this system, so an explanation for idiots would be greatly appreciated.

Someone recommended this sub to me, but I wasn't sure if it was the right size to go with my speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AF88C0M/ (SVS SB1000 12-inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer)

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the SB-1000. It would be good in a 100 sq ft room (with normal ceilings) for most people. If you are a basshead who likes to listen loud with the bass heavily boosted, then you might want to go for the SVS PB-1000.

Note that if you buy directly from SVS, they have free shipping BOTH ways. In other words, if you are not satisfied, they will pay for you to ship it back. See the 45 day audition: http://www.svsound.com/support/bill-of-rights

So not much risk to give it a try :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 10
I have the SB-1000. It would be good in a 100 sq ft room (with normal ceilings) for most people. If you are a basshead who likes to listen loud with the bass heavily boosted, then you might want to go for the SVS PB-1000.

Note that if you buy directly from SVS, they have free shipping BOTH ways. In other words, if you are not satisfied, they will pay for you to ship it back. See the 45 day audition: http://www.svsound.com/support/bill-of-rights

So not much risk to give it a try
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the info! How exactly does this connect to my speakers or amplifier...or in other words, how do I have to change around my connections to fit this in with my speakers and amplifier and my USB DAC, so I will know what cables or speaker wire I need to buy? Here is the back of my speakers and the subwoofer:

So, how do I connect these, as well as to my amplifier and USB DAC?

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 10
You don't connect it to your speakers. It takes line level input like your Emotiva. I don't think your Emotiva has a pre out. I think it's just a line out. So to use the sub, you would either go

DAC->subwoofer->mini-x
DAC-> mini-x->subwoofer

In either case, you would have to turn your mini-x amp up and use your volume control on the computer to control the volume. You would then adjust the gain control on the sub to match the speakers.

If you connect subwoofer to mini-x, the SVS will run a high pass filter of 80hz to the amp. Then set the crossover dial on the sub to 80hz. Otherwise, you set the crossover dial on the sub to the low frequency roll off of the speakers.

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 10
You don't connect it to your speakers. It takes line level input like your Emotiva. I don't think your Emotiva has a pre out. I think it's just a line out. So to use the sub, you would either go

DAC->subwoofer->mini-x
DAC-> mini-x->subwoofer

In either case, you would have to turn your mini-x amp up and use your volume control on the computer to control the volume. You would then adjust the gain control on the sub to match the speakers.

If you connect subwoofer to mini-x, the SVS will run a high pass filter of 80hz to the amp. Then set the crossover dial on the sub to 80hz. Otherwise, you set the crossover dial on the sub to the low frequency roll off of the speakers.

Here is the back of my Emotiva amp:

So, I will just need to buy an RCA subwoofer cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Series-Subwoofer-Cable/dp/B003FVYXY0

And connect that from my amplifier's output to the speaker input? Do I just connect the white (left) output of the amp to the white input on the sub, or do I need 2 subwoofer cables for both the left and right channels?

EDIT: I also noticed that if I turn up the volume on my amp all the way, there is a constant but very light "white noise" hiss. I don't hear it when I turn the amp up halfway, but I never really turned it up past there before since I always had my computer volume high. Just curious if this would be an issue.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 10
No. You need to run the left and right output on the amp to the left and right input on the sub. If you only run one cable--one channel--the sub will not play the bass for both channels.

You may not be able to turn your amp up all the way. An amp may reach 100% volume before the dial is all the way up, depending on the input line level signal and how the volume dial is implemented.

So you can set your computer volume at 100%, turn your amp up to as loud as you think you will need it when your computer volume is 100%, then use the computer volume from then on. And then you set the volume on the sub to produce the level of bass you want relative to your speakers.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 10
See the SB-1000 quick start guide where it says "PRE/PRO - LINE LEVEL CONNECTION": http://www.svsound.com/svs_qsg_300d_r1_09102012.pdf

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 10
Got the sub today, it sounds great! Any tips on setting the sub optimal volume and lower pass filter? The low pass filter seems to sound a bit "muffled" at 80Hz, so I've been trying to find the optimal point between there and 50Hz.

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 10
80hz is what you would use *if* you were running sound from the source to the sub, then then the sub to the Emotiva amp. That's because the line out on the sub has an 80hz high pass filter (worth trying it it that way to see if you like it). Since you are running it from the amp to the sub, you would set the low pass filter to the low frequency roll off of your speakers to try to match it in--or whatever sounds best to you.

As far as setting the sub gain (volume), without an SPL meter or other sound measurement tool, you would have to adjust the gain control to match in with your speakers based on how it sounds to you.

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 10
The right way to do it is with a measurement mic and software to plot test frequency sweeps. Other than that, you are really just left with going by ear. If you had a modern AV receiver, they come with a mic and built-in functions for automatically level setting all the channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back