Powered Subwoofer ~$250 budget
Oct 23, 2008 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

taso89

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Swan M200MkII powered speakers and in their frequency response, they are great. But the Denon D2000's have really spoiled me with their super low bass extension.. Preferably I would like to have both line-level RCA input and output like in the powered Dayton subs, so I can connect my DAC to the sub, then the sub to the Swans. I've been looking at these two subs:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...00-390&scqty=1

Parts Express:Famous Maker 10" 100W Powered Subwoofer

There aren't too many reviews. To me, most importantly I want excellent extension (30hz or less). I'm not looking for boomy thumping, just something to make the sound more full and add some growl. Also, 8'' would be preferred to 10'' or 12''. I noticed that with bigger subs the extension seems to be lower, but this sub is for a college dorm and I'm somewhat space limited and the sub has to fit under the desk.

I've been looking mostly at Parts Express but perhaps there are other places that have subs in my budget. Any ideas?

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't want to burst your bubble, but 8" and excellent extension aren't realistic. At the very least you will need 10" to have reasonable extension at 25hz. If you want to stick with PE, go with the hsu branded subs and go with the 10" version of the one in your link since that will push your extension to 25hz and give you reasonable levels at 30hz.

I personally have an Acculine Asub, which is 10" and pairs extremely well with my Audioengine5s. It is 240 before shipping and small enough for my office so it should work great for your dorm room.

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 15
HSU10 is out of the picture because of the price.. Just last week it was like ~$170 I believe
frown.gif

I had my eye on the Acculine as it is $239 on The Audio Insider but I believe it only has a line-level INPUT and no output, which for me is problematic as I'd have to get some sort of RCA splitter or something to make that work for me. The nice thing about the Daytons is that they have the input and output, so that you can daisy-chain source to sub, sub to speakers.

Anyone know of a solution for this?

EDIT: Would a pair of these work?

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-spl...4796200&sr=1-4

I'd get two of these, connect the male ends to my Zero DAC, and connect the female ends to RCA cables to both the speakers and the sub. My concern is signal degradation and also won't this halve the signal strength of the analog signal passed (line level halved), which may not let me drive the sub and speakers loud enough?

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Swan M200MkII powered speakers and in their frequency response, they are great. But the Denon D2000's have really spoiled me with their super low bass extension.. Preferably I would like to have both line-level RCA input and output like in the powered Dayton subs, so I can connect my DAC to the sub, then the sub to the Swans. I've been looking at these two subs:

Parts Expressayton HSU8 8" Powered Subwoofer

Parts Express:Famous Maker 10" 100W Powered Subwoofer

There aren't too many reviews. To me, most importantly I want excellent extension (30hz or less). I'm not looking for boomy thumping, just something to make the sound more full and add some growl. Also, 8'' would be preferred to 10'' or 12''. I noticed that with bigger subs the extension seems to be lower, but this sub is for a college dorm and I'm somewhat space limited and the sub has to fit under the desk.

I've been looking mostly at Parts Express but perhaps there are other places that have subs in my budget. Any ideas?

you might want to look at these LINK LINK
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 15
I would love to get the Acculine sub but again, can that work for me? The Zero has only one output and I'd have to get the RCA splitter. I'm just concerned about level no longer being line level which is what both the sub and speakers need as both are powered.

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 15
neither the svs nor the bic are musical subs, velodyne is a bit better but is pretty low on bang for the buck..on avsforum this may not be an issue but seeing that this is head-fi I believe I can safely assume that you do like music and with that said I seriously doubt that either of those would match well your speakers

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 15
just because people use those subwoofers a lot in home theater doesn't mean they won't be musical. being musical or boomy is often a product of setup. svs subs provide good extension and clean bass at high spl. hsu subs are a good option too.

fwiw, i've heard rocket ufw-10's are good, but they might be out of your price range even if found used.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 15
trust me I had an svs before, which was placed in exactly the same position as my Asub, it was not musical at all. Sadly it seems only the top of the range ultra is known for its clean bass, which cannot be said about the pb10nsd or pb12nsd. I am not the only one who feels this way, try searching for reviews on avsforum. My point is that svs's budget subs just aren't musical. The pb12 did have very good extension and definitely had the spl for movies but it just did not work well at all for music...perhaps except hip hop lol where heavy sticky bass is required.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 15
To the OP:

How do you like the Zero with the M200mkII? Sorry to go a little off topic but it's been hard to find someone with experience with both.

Anyway as for the sub I've been browsing on eBay and craigslist and often I'm able to find Velodyne F series (older but the top of the line I believe?) subs for around 100 bucks on several occasions, should be a great deal since new they were around $1400. I've listened to the F1200 model on a system far superior to mine and it sounds great. I'd try going this route if you're open to second hand gear. This sub also has RCA ins and outs so you don't have to worry about a splitter.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 15
evu325:

I haven't tried the Swans without the Zero so I can't tell you at this point if it makes a difference. Next week I will possibly try hooking up something lower-fi like an iPod to make a comparison. But, I can say that the sound is pretty great and versatile (great for music, movies, games). The sound is certainly home theater worthy. The only thing is that it is lacking in bass extension but that is to be expected. Also they are huge! The two speakers along with my 22'' LCD pretty much take up the whole width of my dorm desk. I bought them B-stock from The Audio Insider which is 65% off MSRP (about $130 I believe).

I think my mind's made up on the Asub, I would prefer to spend a little less but I want that deep bass extension.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks for the feedback, I've been debating whether or not to pick up a Zero for my MkIIs (which I also got B-stock from the same place =D). I just moved out of my dorm so I can fit them now, but there's no way I could've even gotten them on the desk when I still lived there. I bought a monitor stand to get a little desk space back if that helps (I got a 24" to fit on it!), mine wouldn't fit on this crappy Ikea desk. I tried the M200s with an ipod LOD and they sound a lot better than out of my MBPs headphone out if you're wondering.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jterp7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trust me I had an svs before, which was placed in exactly the same position as my Asub, it was not musical at all. Sadly it seems only the top of the range ultra is known for its clean bass, which cannot be said about the pb10nsd or pb12nsd. I am not the only one who feels this way, try searching for reviews on avsforum. My point is that svs's budget subs just aren't musical. The pb12 did have very good extension and definitely had the spl for movies but it just did not work well at all for music...perhaps except hip hop lol where heavy sticky bass is required.

what a shame. i had such high hopes for the lower entry svs sub too. looks like ill have to stick to my plan and get a rel strata iii

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 15
Looks like an Acculine Asub is somewhere in my very near future
wink.gif
I'm ordering tomorrow and will hopefully post impressions in a week or two. BTW, I use a powered Onkyo subwoofer ($100 on Amazon) in my Home Theater set-up that came with my HTIB, any ideas on how much better the Asub will be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back