Powered Speakers
Feb 14, 2008 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dusk

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a MacBook Pro, and need some bookshelf speakers/monitors to go along with it.

I am debating the Onkyo Home THeatre in a Box, and the Swans MKII's.

im also thinking about getting the apogee duet

-dusk

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 12
well, around 500 for the monitors

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 12
I'd go for Audio Engines. 5 if you like the bigger sound, bass, 2, if you're not a bass freak. If your listening tends toward more classical/jazz, you can find Quad 11L or 12L used for a bit over $500. Good luck!

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 12
Tapco S5 are active nearfield monitors that would fit into your budget. I think they run around 300. It has RCA, XLR or TRS inputs.

I am interested how the Audioengine speakers sound for desktop use. My friend has a set of Genelecs hooked up at his workstation at home. Very natural sounding speakers.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 12
I have heard M-Audio EX66's in a studio setting and that was a pretty sweet experience. The BX-5s and BX-8s would be in your price range and are probably better values - I was thinking of getting some BX-8s. My limited take on active monitors is that they (meaning the EX66s) tend to be more "in-your-face" and exposing than more laid-back passive speakers like Thiels.

If you find a place to demo similar models of speakers that you are interested, it is worth the drive. The sales person I spoke with for the M-Audios thought that powered monitors were too fatiguing for consistent listening - kinda like Grados for me. There might be some truth to that but I haven't had extensive listening to powered monitors. Just be aware that some salespeople at high end places tend to be a bit condescending in the way they treat some customers.

There are some great bookshelf active monitors out there, but the price variations seem to be a bit extreme. This seems to be because of the cost of material and internal hardware mostly. It seems that for tweeters: aluminum/some alloy < silk < titanium. That goes for price, quality-wise I think one would have to listen. Then there is the issue of powered subwoofers to go with the monitors. Part of the fun in getting speakers is finding out what free information there is out there on the internet. Have fun.

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 12
Grab a pair of Tascam VL-X5s if you can find them. I really couldn't be happier with mine!

The sound reminds me of my AKG K-701, very balanced, clear, and most importantly, lifelike. And even though they only have a 5 inch woofer, the deep cabinets mean they can kick the bass out when they need to.

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 12
the swanns m10 are difficult to find since newegg stopped stocking them. i opted instead for the audioengine a2. should arrive sometime next week so i'll see how they sound...

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #9 of 12
I'd recommend the Swan M200 MKIIs. They have a very flat frequency response curve across their whole range but sound musical and are far from fatiguing. Great soundstage and imaging, very clear and overall they sound great
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7even /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend the Swan M200 MKIIs. They have a very flat frequency response curve across their whole range but sound musical and are far from fatiguing. Great soundstage and imaging, very clear and overall they sound great
biggrin.gif

Where did you find them? I just found them on ebay but 130 $ shipping is too much.

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 12
I've asked Jon Lane at the official Swan dealer The Audio Insider, and he said they're shipping a fresh stock of Swan speakers to Newegg, so they should be available soon.

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Save yourself some money and thrill your ears too. Score a pair of Proton 301's - bi-amped, 100 watts per side. I use 'em for audio with my iMac, in preference to the built-in speakers, which are not bad themselves.

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back