Powered speakers ON/OFF switching
Dec 7, 2016 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DAW1d

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I have powered speakers JBL LSR 305 and I am little bit tired of powering them every day with the back side switches. Is it safe to plug them in one wireless controlled extension power cord, leave the switch on the speakers "on" and turn them "on/off" with the power cord? And what about other devices like DAC and external volume controller? Ideally I want to leave everything switched on (on devices) and turn it ON and OFF only with one switch on the power cord. Is it possible or can I damage some stuff? Thanks.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 5
I use a power conditioner for my computer and all my audio equipment including powered monitors.

Something like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M8x2

It's basically a glorified power strip that can be rack mounted.

A regular power bar/strip would essentially do the same thing for a lot cheaper.

Keeping the power switch on, on the back of your speakers, and using the power switch on a power bar to turn them on/off won't harm the speakers. I've been doing this for years with no issue.

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 5
I use a power conditioner for my computer and all my audio equipment including powered monitors.

Something like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M8x2

It's basically a glorified power strip that can be rack mounted.

A regular power bar/strip would essentially do the same thing for a lot cheaper.

Keeping the power switch on, on the back of your speakers, and using the power switch on a power bar to turn them on/off won't harm the speakers. I've been doing this for years with no issue.

+1.

A lot of Furman and Panamax (that sounds wrong - it may be slightly different name) studio gear can do stuff like that, and I've worked on setups that have multiple (linked) rack-mount power centers that turns on equipment in different rooms in this manner. Nothing is broken/damaged by it, however keep in mind some gear has a "soft start" or "momentary" power switch, and it won't let you cycle it this way (a lot of computers work this way (by default), for example), but most amplifiers, DACs, etc can have their power switches set on and then just rely on the AC being switched on/off to get them going. Just make sure the switching device is able to handle the current needs of the speakers/amps/whatever. A lot of those "go green and save the planet" boxes usually aren't good for high current amplifiers - they assume they're going to switch off a lamp or something, not a big high power component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back