Powered Monitors
Feb 2, 2010 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Necrolic

1000+ Head-Fier
Still having trouble deciding what stereo monitors to get to complement my rig. The highest I can pay is something along the lines of the KRK RP5 or Mackie MR5, maybe $50 more per speaker.

I'm looking for something with a fun, musical sound that is still crisp and at least fairly accurate.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Bump.

Willing to pay up to $400 not including shipping, right now it's looking like the KRK RP5s or Mackie MR5s unless somebody can recommend something different.

These are just gonna be used for music, not mixing, so I'm looking for something that's FUN to listen to, not just a flat response and boring playback.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 8
I dunno, I'm tempted just to grab the RP5s because a LOT of people here have them and seem to adore them.

Would anybody who's heard them describe their sound as boring, or just neutral?

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump.

Willing to pay up to $400 not including shipping, right now it's looking like the KRK RP5s or Mackie MR5s unless somebody can recommend something different.

These are just gonna be used for music, not mixing, so I'm looking for something that's FUN to listen to, not just a flat response and boring playback.

I enjoy my KRKs and they are not fatiguing at all even thought they are aggressive in upper heights

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 8
A used pair of Genelec might suit you but from the sound of it, you'd probably dig the Mackie's alot, I heard some of their older models a few years ago.

If possible try heading to a local Guitar Center as they have an auditioning room where you can hear all the KRK, Mackie, etc you'd like.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 8
The Mackies are perfect for me. I use it extensively with all my sources: CDP, Computer audio and Vinyl. They have XLR inputs which is substantially better than the unbalanced inputs.

Try both of them at a local guitarcenter and choose for yourself.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, I'm tempted just to grab the RP5s because a LOT of people here have them and seem to adore them.

Would anybody who's heard them describe their sound as boring, or just neutral?

They're pleasantly colored.
MR5 is very neutral, but neither is "boring" in the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back