Powered monitors noise and DIY magnetic shielding question
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

viivo

100+ Head-Fier
I know this isn't strictly headphone related, but I am using a headphone amp as a pre-amp, so there's that.

I've had a pair of the Monoprice 8" powered monitors for quite some time but due to their unbearable hiss/static they've spent most of their life in storage. I decided to try tracking down the noise again and started by removing the drivers - the 8" woofer with the usual shielding over the magnet, and tweeter with no shielding at all. Since I hear the noise from only the tweeter, is there a chance modifying it with a magnetic shield would alleviate some of the noise? I'm asking because I don't want to waste my time if there's no chance of a positive effect.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't think the hiss in these is due to poor shielding, but poor amp design. Adding some shielding might help, but I doubt it'll get rid of it.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't think the hiss in these is due to poor shielding, but poor amp design. Adding some shielding might help, but I doubt it'll get rid of it.

Yeah, I think so too. The specs states both the woofer and tweeter are magnetic shielded anyway. Again, I think it's a fautly/bad/poorly HF amp section that's the cause so your chance of fixing this yourself without severe DIY are low I would think. I have seen a few online complaint about this speaker's tweeter hissing complaints so it reinforces the bad amp design/implementation causing this. Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back