Powered monitors driving my phones?
Dec 30, 2007 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shima

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at some powered studio monitors for use with my PC. I'm looking at 2 that tell me i can plug phones into. The more expensive pair have DAC. Will this get me by for my PC use. Will the DAC make a big difference?

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm wondering if you've actually listened to these monitors at a store. I've listened to many monitors at Guitar Center but I don't recall seeing these Edirol...there are so many to choose from these days.

I see that the 15D go for around $180/pair at Sweetwater and $100 for the 7A.

That's quite a big difference. You probably wouldn't need the additional power of the 15D if you're going to sit close. The DAC could make a big difference if without it you'd be using a low quality analog input from your PC.

There isn't a USB input for the DAC(only coax and optical)...just so you realize this. Of course you could connect your CDP, etc to them via digital.

If you've decided on this general model and have the funds for the 15D then I say go for it.

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for this. It's all a bit new to me and get a bit confused by the terminology.

I'm looking for new PC speakers generally and don't just use them sitting in front of the PC, like to listen in other areas of the house as well. I haven't heard these but were the only ones in local shops at this price range. Any others that you would suggest at this price?

At the moment, i have speakers plugged into the back of my PC. I plug my headphones into the headphone output of these. The sound is a bit dense with a fair bit of hiss / noise through these. Are you saying that the one with the DAC will clear this up? My current speakers are pretty crap all over so i assume anything will be an improvement
smily_headphones1.gif

I was also confused cause i thought i'd read somewhere that plugging phones into powered speakers was damaging to phones though they all have jacks...

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shima /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for this. It's all a bit new to me and get a bit confused by the terminology.

I'm looking for new PC speakers generally and don't just use them sitting in front of the PC, like to listen in other areas of the house as well. I haven't heard these but were the only ones in local shops at this price range. Any others that you would suggest at this price?

At the moment, i have speakers plugged into the back of my PC. I plug my headphones into the headphone output of these. The sound is a bit dense with a fair bit of hiss / noise through these. Are you saying that the one with the DAC will clear this up? My current speakers are pretty crap all over so i assume anything will be an improvement
smily_headphones1.gif

I was also confused cause i thought i'd read somewhere that plugging phones into powered speakers was damaging to phones though they all have jacks...

It's difficult for me to recommend speakers in this price range because many of the monitors that I've focused on are in the $900~$1,200/pair range. Any respectable name such as these for $200/pair should "blow away" any cheap plastic mini PC monitors. If you surf around at Sweetwater you will see the many options near your budget...from there you might find some others that interest you. Sweetwater has excellent customer service(from my experiences with them)...if you need to, you can call and get any questions answered.

I imagine that the 15D using its DAC will have a fairly quiet headphone output, but you would have to try that out for yourself. The 15D should be a substantial upgrade to what you're using now, both headphone and speaker use.

There should be no concerns with driving your headphones from the headphone jack on these monitors. How well the headphone amp will perform will depend on your headphones impedance,efficiency..."synergy factor".

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm currently using MA-15D as my desktop speakers. IME the built-in DAC is nothing special compared even to iMac analog out. Same goes for their HP out. Great speakers though (especially when fed by external DAC to analog input). Fair and analytical sound (a tad on a dry side, can be warmed up with a bass boost switch)
In my opinion it would be wise to look for an older, non-D version, using it with a DAC like iBasso D1 which also has a decent HP out.

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shima /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, love the pic of your phones. What are they??

They are first run version 3 Headphile Darth Beyers (modded DT-770 Pro-80). Wood is Padauk.Pads are Beyerdynamic leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back