Powered desktop speaker ?
Jan 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Folex

Member of the Trade: PLAudio
I'm looking for hopefully a powered desktop speaker with the same characteristics as my headphones (Denon 2000's.)

The only 2 that I seem to be able to find is the M-audio and the Audioengine A5's. ( not Sure how they sound)
If anyone can think of any other in the price range then mention them.

Ideally I'd like to spend less then $350

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 10
I can tell you that the BX5a will not sound like the Denon 2000, the frequency response graph is quite neutral. I'm about to receive the A5 to compare against my BX5a next week. I suspect the A5 will have more bass, weaker details, a smoother midrange and slightly more expanded soundstage width and more depth but I'll know soon enough.

You may find the blue LED a little distracting though on the BX5a if you do decide to go for those. I find that lower bitrate files such as 192kbps MP3s have some edginess and sound sharp on the BX5a that are not there with 320kbps recordings, not sure how forgiving the A5 is. M-Audio is supposedly less reliable than Audioengine but I've had no problems with my BX5a. Some apple authorized stores have the A5 for demo so you may want to look around.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 10
M-audio products are a nice choice for the price you pay.. but i wouldn't get them if you don't have a sub.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 10
I agree, the BX5a is bass light and really could use a subwoofer with it. I still looking forward to receiving my bamboo constructed A5, it's supposedly better than the original.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you that the BX5a will not sound like the Denon 2000, the frequency response graph is quite neutral. I'm about to receive the A5 to compare against my BX5a next week. I suspect the A5 will have more bass, weaker details, a smoother midrange and slightly more expanded soundstage width and more depth but I'll know soon enough.

You may find the blue LED a little distracting though on the BX5a if you do decide to go for those. I find that lower bitrate files such as 192kbps MP3s have some edginess and sound sharp on the BX5a that are not there with 320kbps recordings, not sure how forgiving the A5 is. M-Audio is supposedly less reliable than Audioengine but I've had no problems with my BX5a. Some apple authorized stores have the A5 for demo so you may want to look around.

From what i've read some other ppl say, the a5 is much better than the bx5a.
Can't wait to hear what your findings are though.

The A5 is not forgiving at all on poorly recorded material
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what i've read some other ppl say, the a5 is much better than the bx5a.
Can't wait to hear what your findings are though.

The A5 is not forgiving at all on poorly recorded material
tongue.gif

But how many of those people actually owned both?
confused_face(1).gif

My guess is that they're purely speculating

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Got the A5 today, they look great.

This is my quick impression. They have a warm sound, noticeably more bassy than BX5a, less detailed. The soundstage is very similar to BX5a, can't notice anything massively different in that area. They sound good even with 192kbps material where BX5a can sometimes sound edgy, no hint of sibilance. I'll have to listen more but the BX5a and A5 sound very different from one another. BX5a sure sounds brighter

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the A5 today, they look great.

This is my quick impression. They have a warm sound, noticeably more bassy than BX5a, less detailed. The soundstage is very similar to BX5a, can't notice anything massively different in that area. They sound good even with 192kbps material where BX5a can sometimes sound edgy, no hint of sibilance. I'll have to listen more but the BX5a and A5 sound very different from one another. BX5a sure sounds brighter

Congrats on the purchase.

Are they properly mounted/decoupled from the desk? Also, it's critical to have at least 6 inches of space behind the a5s for them to breathe. Any less, it won't sound that great.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #9 of 10
Yes I have at least 6 inches and they are on thick foam pads angled upwards about 6 degrees. They are also in the triangle formation, left speaker and right speaker pointed towards my ears respectively.

BX5a is definitely more detailed in the midrange and treble for me but they are inadequate in the bass department without a subwoofer. I will probably be making a new thread regarding BX5a vs A5

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 10
You may want to get the A5s up 6 or more inches off the desk. The effect of putting them on the desk even with a pad is that the upper bass frequencies become exaggerated and you lose definition in the lower mids. Way too muddy for me.

Getting them up will smooth the response curve in that region a bit. This is the reason some top powered pro monitors have a shelf cut EQ built in.

Some of the best rated and recommended speakers for desktop sound really wrong in the critical midband and upper bass when set right on the desk. Audioengine and Usher 520s for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back