Powered Bookshelf Speakers ($100-200)
Aug 6, 2006 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TiredNinja

Head-Fier
Hello, I've been searching the internet, but I'm completely lost in the world of bookshelf speakers. Does anyone know a killer pair off-hand? I'm looking for something powered, which might cut down ideas quite a bit, but I'd prefer something versatile. Also, looking for something in the 100-200 range, but I'd like to hear what people have to say.

Thanks!

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 17
i honstly dont know whats available in an actual bookself but i would suggest looking into computer speakers, they are almost always powered and usually come with a powered sub as well.

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 17
Go to yuur local guitar center or sam ash or other proaudio store and check out their monitors.

Aug 6, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 17
A monitor that cheap will sound horrible but getting a computer system with (5) 2" or 3" woofer speakers and a 6" or 8" subwoofer for the same price will sound better? You be the judge.

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 17
I could not find anything either in the same price range - for my PC.

However, I came across the Samson Rubicon 5As which have ribbon tweeters which I really like for female vocals. They are powered near-field monitors.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul0...sonrudicon.htm

I went for the Rubicon 6As, as I was able to get them at the same price as the 5As instead of the extra £150 price difference.

I am extremely pleased with them - piano and guitar are very well presented.

However, they do rather dominate my desk.
k1000smile.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 17
Swans M200 at Newegg. Search for the many reviews here in this thread.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
Swans M200 at Newegg. Search for the many reviews here in this thread.

Yes, this above is a very good suggestion. Those are considered to be pretty nice speakers and fit right into your price range. A pretty good alternative though might be Klipsh ProMedia 2.1 speakers. They aren't fantastic, but they are solid and can be had at BestBuy for $156.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384267922

After tax, s&h or whatever you'd probably be right at your $200 price point.

Another option that would probably sound better would be the these Insignia Bookshelf speakers that can also be had at BB for $49.99 and they are getting RAVE reviews in the audiophile community for the best value in their class.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085354138

They're not powered, but at that price, you should be able to pickup a relatively inexpensive amplifier to power them. Depending on your needs, you could go either route and it should work out well. I think $200 for decent audio at your computer is very do-able.

Jon

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 17
If you're set on getting the ProMedia, Klipsch sometimes has refurbished ones on their web site for $99.

Personally, I'm not too fond of them (great bass, but very thin mids and almost piercing highs). Good for movies, but not too good for Jazz, Classical, or anything else where you want to hear something other than booming bass.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Hey hey, picked up the Insignia speakers and Insignia 200w amp for about 130 (got a open box amp) and they gave me a 20 dollar gift certificate to boot. Didn't expect such neat deals from Best Buy. Haven't had a chance to listen to the combo yet, but I'll let you guys know when I listen to them. I'm not very experienced with speakers though, so don't expect a very reliable review.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Ok, I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread of mine that I am dominating, but I was just wondering about speaker placement. How are speakers generally supposed to be placed? There isn't one specfic point I'll be listening to them at in my room, so maybe the corners of the room? The room is about 8' by 12', so I was thinking the corners of the 8 foot side, which my computer desk faces, but it seems like that would impair my listening when I'm at my desk because I'd be so close (my desk is against the wall). Wow, this doesn't make any sense, if anyone has any general speaker placement suggestions I'd love to hear them. You don't have these problems with headphoens.
600smile.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 17
Placement would depend a lot on what you are doing while listening to music. Are you going to be working/playing on the computer while listening? will you be watching DVDs on your computer, or on a TV elsewhere in the room?

Either evenly space your speakers to either side of the video monitor of your choice, or put them about 4-6 feet apart on one wall about 6-10 feet away from your listening position. Moving them to and from the wall will need some experimentation (the wall, and especially corners, can reinforce the bass of your speakers, but can make it "boom" too much as well) Then you can experiment with pointing the speakers to the midline, or straight ahead.

Every room will be different, furniture, rugs, window treatments, bookshelves. Above is just a guide, and will vary to your music wants, and personal listening likes/dislikes.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredNinja
Ok, thanks for the great guidelines! Is it important they be in front of you? I could see how to the side might mess things up a bit, but what about behind you?

When you figure out where you end up putting them, do be sure to come back here and give us your own opinion on how good(bad) these speakers sound. I'd really like your opinion.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back