Powered Amps vs. Passive
Jun 5, 2004 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Tmonsterop

New Head-Fier
I am considering purchasing a PA system for my keyboard and dj-ing, and have come up with two options. Should I buy a pair of powered amps or a pair of passive amps with an amplifier? The passive option is $150 cheaper and has only 50 watts less of power. What are the advantages of either option?

Jun 5, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmonsterop
I am considering purchasing a PA system for my keyboard and dj-ing, and have come up with two options. Should I buy a pair of powered amps or a pair of passive amps with an amplifier? The passive option is $150 cheaper and has only 50 watts less of power. What are the advantages of either option?

Tmonsterop, your question as phrased is a bit confusing as passivs vs active usually applies to either preamplifiers or speakers (monitors), not amplifiers. Amplifiers are the active component in either case.

Since you are talking pro type equipment, I will interpret your question as being about speaker cabinets with (active) or without (passive) an amplifier. That being the case, I'd say go for active - usually more bang for the buck, and one less set of interconnects to worry about.

Unless, of course, you already have a suitable power amplifier, in which case the passive monitors should save you a few bucks.

My comments refer to the likes of Mackie, NHT, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back