Powered 2.0 speakers vs amp + compact bookshelves for PC use
Aug 29, 2014 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sinnottj

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, looking for some advice in upgrading my PC audio setup.

Currently I've got 15 yr old Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers which sound decent enough (weighty but a bit muffled). The sub is very boomy though, and I keep it a pretty minimal volume. I only use them for listening to music at my desk at moderate volume, so massive bass is not required.

I've been considering two options - (1) a set of powered 2.0 speakers or (2) re-use an old integrated amp I have lying around with a pair of compact bookshelf speakers.

I've been looking at the JBL Control 1 speakers, as they are small and will fit comfortably on my desk. My assumption is they will be significantly better than any 2.0 system in a similar price range (£80) e.g. the Creative T40 or the M Audio AV40. Is that the case? Can anyone offer any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know anything about the Control Ones. Passive speakers are just like desktop multimedia speakers. There are good values and bad values.

But, if you already have an amp, then generally yes. A good passive speaker will be better than desktop multimedia speakers.

Also note that the Control Ones have a low end response of only 80hz. You might need a sub to go with them. Hard to say because I don't know your expectations, and they don't list if that's a -3db response. Keep in mind that smaller driver speakers tend to be more challenged in midbass output than larger driver speakers. So compact size generally = not so great bass extension.

Since you are in the UK, I would also look around and see what's available new and used in Wharfedale Diamonds.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 5
JBL Control 1 and Control 5 passive speakers were zone or small studio (the Ctl 5) stalwarts for a long time before the advent of powered or active monitors. Since then JBL have firmly embraced the all in one revolution with the LSR range which compete directly with the previous entry level favourites, the Mackie MR and Yamaha  HS ranges. In fact they are currently even cheaper, particularly in the US of A.

So if they meet your requirements and you already have an amp then the Ctl 1 might be the most cost effective way to go if you can find an old stock pair for less than £80. Going down to 80Hz they would appear to be a perfect match for a moderately priced 2.1 system with a sub. Although I personally believe your mains should extend down to at least 60Hz. So see if you can find some Ctl 5 for £150 or under and take that option instead.

If your budget is fixed at ~£100 then I'd choose the Ctl 1 over the M-Audio option. I've got a pair of the AV40 myself. Seemed v. good value for a desktop set up at the time but I had to replace the output caps myself after less than a year and they aren't very accurate even in their limited range. Mrs Ron likes them in the kitchen though. The bumped mid lows and rolled off tops make for excellent casual listening at low volume. If you want more than that I'd save up a bit longer and get something like the JBL LSR305, Mackie MR5 or Yamaha HS5. Even ADAM F5 if you can afford the bit extra. That's a very personal opinion however and I'm sure many might not agree.................but whatever you do don't get the Ctl 1 then buy a sub. Get some better mains first -  I'm prepared to argue with anyone who disagrees with that opinion. For sure.

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

I think I'll try to make some more room on my desk and get something larger than the JBL control 1s (I'd rather avoid needing a sub if possible, so I guess basic physics dictates I'll need something with larger woofers to get an adequate bass response ...)

The Wharfdale diamonds look good (and decent value!) although they maybe a little deep for desktop use ...

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Yep. Everybody's desktop space situation is different. Gotta work with what you have the first go round. Then some years from now, you'll be like some of the rest of us who design our desktop setup around the speakers :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back