Powercords help needed!
Oct 24, 2003 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Axel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi y'all,

I'm in search of a PC for my digital source ( Meridian 588 ) - I am willing to pay up to 500$.
All I know is that there are PC for digital devices and for analog devices - from this point on I turn to you guys hoping you will be able to assist me in my "quest for the perfect PC".

Thx!

BTW it would be realy helpful if you could mention cheap online stores that sell those PC.

Oct 25, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 11
Of course this is just my opinon. $500 for a power cord is nuts. I believe in the IC difference, but PCs. I'm sure you could find an upgrade from the stock cord for $100. I'm sure I'll take heat for this one.
cool.gif

Oct 25, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 11
I agree $500 in power cord is insane. Especially if this:

HD580 , Creek OBH-11 + OBH-2, Meridian 588 ,Audioquest Viper

is what you have. If your budget is $500, maybe spend on power cord, surge protector / emi filter, and cable for HD580?

Oct 25, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 11
With 500.00 smarakoos in my hand, I would get an OTL32, or a Perreaux and save even 200, or an MGHead, or any other amp better than this OBH-11, and you will be hear a lot of improvements, even using a computer power cord cable....just my two cents....

Oct 25, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 11
“HD580, Creek OBH-11 + OBH-2, Meridian 588, Audioquest Viper”

If your running this system a $500 power cord might not be the best investment?

How about upgrading from the Vipers to a better interconnect and a better headphone cable for the 580’s?

You could get some used Cardas neutral references and a Cardas headphone cable for that much if you shop around. Sell the vipers and get a better power cord but one balanced with the other components?

Try for a sense of balance in the components where each piece compliments the others.

Mitch

Oct 25, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 11
Spend 170.00 dollars of your money on a Lat International AC2 power cord and save the rest of your money for something else. I use these cords on almost everything I own and have been very happy with them. I agree with pretty much what everyone else has said so far. There are to many other areas for you to spend your money and hear major improvment then on a PC.

Oct 25, 2003 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 11
Thx guys - but HD600 + Zu Mobius are on their way ( ordered them a couple of days ago... ).
600smile.gif

I'd rather not upgrade my amp because I also listen through my speakers - I see that as a future investment.
What kind of IC upgrade due you recommend.
Let's say my budget ( 500$ ) is for IC+PC upgrade - what now...

Oct 25, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 11
If you want a noticeable improvement in your sound, honestly change the amp, any cable you may get (even a 2000.00 one), will improve a lot less than a change in the amp, or any other part of the system, your system is limited by the OBH-11, even if tied of budget, in your shoes I would considered any other amp...PCs are the last part of the system to tweak, and when you already are satisfied with the rest, ICs may improve, the sound, but not as a change of the amp...the OBH-11 is not at the level of the rest of the system, and IS the weakest link of the chain, without an improvement on that part, IMO you are wasting money..... just my two cents...

Oct 25, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 11
sovkiller is right. If you have the HD600/Zucable on the way and 500.00 to spend, hang out in the for sale forum and pick up a good amp to go along with that great source and those new phones.

Oct 25, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Speaking as somebody who has heard a major benefit with power cords over $500, I'd say that your system might not be ready for them yet. The Creek OBH11 is the weak spot, even with the OBH-2 power supply. Your Meridian is good enough to benefit from any power cord you want to put on it. The Virtual Dynamics cables are good, and you can get a good price on a Power 3 at Audiogon that should be pretty reasonable (under $100). I use one on a Sony DVP-S9000ES, and it not only improved the sound, but improved the DVD video performance as well. When you've got amplification in place that will be more sensitive to the changes in power cords, an upgrade might be in order at that point.

Oct 25, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 11
PS Audio sells a line of power cords called the xStream series. I have the 'Plus' model right now an really like it. I would suggest picking up one of the 'plus' or less expensive 'prelude' models and do like the others have said, buy other equally important items with the difference - amp, music etc. I think that power cords do make a real difference, but thinking of the whole signal chain is important too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back