powerbook15inch 1.67mhz audio input? and some stage monitoring questions.
Mar 19, 2007 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vii_haven

100+ Head-Fier
does anyone here know the bitrate of the powerbook15inch 1.67mhz audio line in? is it 48/96/192khz?

if i want a cheap, simple solution to upgrade the audio input quality, would a m-audio transit ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html) work?

also, what does 48, 96 and 192khz equate to? like which is cd quality, and the equivalents for each?

i use both the aviom64 out of a yamaha digital board and a shure psm700 out of an analogue mixer for monitoring purposes when i play drums. and somehow, the sound from the shure/analogue combination is audibly warmer, fatter and nicer than the aviom/digital combination. any reason for this also? i use the um2 (with widex molds) for both combinations.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 5
These numbers you are asking about are called sample rates. A sample rate is how many samples the audio wave is quantized into per second. The bit depth is how many bits are used to describe each of those samples.

CD audio uses a sample rate of 44.1 khz. Movie soundtracks use 48 khz. High resolution formats SACD and DVD-A use 96 khz or 192 khz.

I don't own a Mac or any of the hardware you are asking about, so I can't offer much help there. You should be able to set the sample rate for you PowerBook's audio system. Whatever you set it to is what the ADC will convert the incoming audio to. I believe you can go as high as 96 khz. But as with most things in the audio world, trying to determine which piece of hardware will give you a better conversion to digital is not nearly as simple as comparing a few numbers.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 5
It does. But most people here listen to CDs (44.1KHz) and are very happy with it. Also, many people can't tell the difference between 44.1KHz and the higher sample rates. (I'm one of them.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back