Powerbook or iPod
Oct 30, 2005 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chef Medeski

1000+ Head-Fier
Here is the situation. I have a Powerbook and an iPod. There is no music on the PB to save HD space. Instead I either hook up the iPod to the laptop or wirelessly connect to my desktop which has all my music. Now, I have a pair of Etymotic ER-4S and just bought a pair of Grado HF-1s. My current set up is straight out from either iPod or PB. However, I feel that doesn't do these headphones justice. I'm looking to buy an amp. The Hornet looks beautiful and ten times better sounding than the price allows. But, the question remains what should I do.

Should I connect from a Line-out of my iPod to the Hornet or various other amp to the headphones.

Or how about from iPod or Wireless library through Powerbook jack through amp

Or how about same as previous except with a USB DAC

So, which one is better or which amp goes best with each. I really would like to use my Powerbook in the equation since I can better see the track name and the Wireless library has more music on it, but when you spend $400 on headphones, that is auxiliary to quality. Hell, anything you can get me on the cheap would probably be enough considering how untill now my Grado SR-80s went straight out from my iPod and still astonished me untill I get the Etymotics. (DAMN U ETYS). So, help me out. Because I am lost. Ohh I nearly forgot.

ipod = 360 kbps AAC
Wireless library = lossless

So, that +1 more for the wireless library.

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 8
May I also add that this is the current revision 12". So, that is no PCI card, so yeah... And it is shiny! Did I mention that I don't what to spend more than $300. Also, I would like to spend closer to $100-$150. This includes all used equipment.

Oct 30, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Get an usb dac for a while and compare all three posibilities (with the amp hooked). $100+ dac should perform better than PowerBook's on-board. There's a lot to choose from, search the forum a bit.

Oct 30, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Well thats the thing. I don't have an amp currently. I am not going to buy $100 DAC plus a Hornet. I would barely buy a $100 DAC plus a MINT. So, that isn't an option at this point.

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 8
I have both a PB and an iPod. I run either through my Xin SM3 to either my E4's or SR-225. My music on the PB is lossless, and it is 256 VBR AAC on my iPod. So I am in a similar situation.

To me running the line out of the iPod has much better sound quality than the PB (even with the lossy files). It just seems much more dynamic and engaging. I beleive this is because this is using a line out as the source as oppose to a headphone out. What ever it is, the difference is very noticable.

I have not tried it but I am sure that a external DAC would blow both of them out of the water. For a laptop it seems to be one of the best solutions. I think the Headroom MicroDAC will be the next addition to my rig.

If I were you I would get the Hornet and a pocketdock and enjoy! When you have enough saved up think about that external DAC. Hope that helps!

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 8
That helps alot thanks! So, quick question for yeah. If I don't have a hornet at this point, which many believe. I am just speculating on how I would like to get one. Then, should I rather buy an amp like the Meier Audio PCIII with a DAC included instead of the Hornet.

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 8
I used to have the headroom Total Bithead. After a while I decided to upgrade to my SM3. Wow what a difference. I did not mind losing the DAC at all.

I think you would be better off with a really good amp running out of the headphone out than an "all in one" that may sacrifice amp quality.

I have never heard the PCIII, but I know I would take an SM3 with no DAC any day over the TBH.

Anyone else care to sound off on this? This is simply my experience.

I think the hornet (or sm3) would be a good choice over an "all in one" (can you tell I am happy with my rig
biggrin.gif
). When you are ready for a DAC get a nice stand alone one. It is what I plan to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back