Powerbook G4 headphone use
Jun 13, 2006 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

golgi

500+ Head-Fier
I'll be using my Powerbook G4 17" as source whenever I don't have access to my home audio setup. How good is the headphone out on the Powerbook? With my old HD440 II it sounded decent but these are not exactly the quality of the HD580's.

My new Sennheiser HD580's should arrive soon and I've been doing a LOT of reading on this site and other sites to decide which amp to get. I'm giving serious consideration to the Little Dot micro+ or the Little Dot II. What type of setup are all you Powerbook users using with cans such as the HD580, HD600, etc.?

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Mac OS X is a really nice easy to use source in terms of a bit-perfect OS when used with iTunes and proper settings and no XP kmixer nonsense, but headphone out on most onboard laptop soundcards aren't that great.

Garbage in, garbage out.

A portable amp may or may not help. Depends on your rig and preferences.

If you have optical out great, then Mac OS X is awesome with optical DACs, see here:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183919

if not, your stuck with USB.
MicroStack, TotalBithead, Aria, and others are decent USB DAC/Amp.

See here for more info and listing of USB DAC/Amps:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=lapfi

It's really a no-brainer, and there's not much to it. Just decide what you want in terms of sound, price, and portability. There's no magic answer for everyone.

If you don't want to shell out for a DAC or amp, stick with a newer generation iPod if you have one. I'm finding it's a rather decent source compared to some no-name mp3 players and compared to many factory onboard soundcards.

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, that was a lot of good useful information as I'm a newbie at all this. That headroom amp with the built in dac is staring to seem like a decent buy...

Jun 18, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 4
Sonica or Transit + any portable amp is also a good combination if you come across a good deal on an amp or already have one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back