Power Supply Wondering: Regulated Switcher
Dec 25, 2006 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tomo

DIY tube amps can be SHOCKING
Hey,

I am very comfortable using linear regulators, in fact, I can probably build a single linear PSU with my eyes closed. But I am fed up with having a big "iron ore" around. (I m fed up with recycling it from proj to proj, too)

Is a switching PSU truly bad as we say? I have been one to recommend against them, too. But it's been almost a decade. Some professionals use switching PSUs and Class-D amps.

So I decided to slap a switcher to my Szekeres amp to see if it is BAD.

SzkeSwich3.jpg

It ain't bad at all. You all should hear it for yourself.

Tomo

Dec 25, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 7
As always, there is no absolute here.

The reason I routinely recommend against switchers is that there are a lot of bad quality ones out there, and usually someone is asking about them because they're trying to recycle one. Anything made to power low-cost digital electronics is immediately suspect...you can get away with a much higher level of noise in such a product than in an audio product, and since it costs more to have a high-quality switcher, such products usually don't.

If you do as you've done, and go out and buy something new, you can do your research and find a high-quality one, which can perform quite nicely. But, DIYing is no guarantee, either: I've tried some switcher ICs that put out horrendous amounts of noise right in the middle of the audio band!

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey,

I know Tangent. I did have that particular experience time long ago, but it has been nearly a decade. I spent like 15 bucks. (My switching wallwart was like 5 bucks) And, there is nothing in audio band.

What did you use Tangent? Mine doesn't look like a chip switcher to me.

Tomo

Dec 26, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 7
Oh, I don't remember. I've tried a bunch of switchers, ranging from DIP-8 chips with a few external passives to fairly expensive ones with complicated circuits. Pretty much you get what you pay for.

Dec 26, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 7
I used a small switcher for my millett hybridand it worked fine

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 7
Hey,

I tried something similar other than Szekeres, too. Switching PSU sounds fine to me. It kinda make you wonder ... whether if linear regulator is worth a while.

(Of course, I am talking about GOOD switching PSUs. Why compare with crappiest of craps?)

Tomo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back