Power steps
Sep 13, 2001 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dhwilkin

Headphone audiophiles are practically the stuff of legend.
After all these reviews of different power components, I'm very eager to try them. Of course, money is a bit tight, so I doubt I could try all of them. So would all you power tweakers (yes, another pun!) out there give me some suggestions as to which tweaks (cable, line conditioner, etc...) give the most bang-for-your-buck? I'd like to keep the cost of each tweak under $200.

Oh yeah, and I have a (probably dumb) question about sorbothane. Do you just buy sheets, and then somehow cut it out and form feet for your equipment, or can you buy it pre-shaped?

Sep 13, 2001 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 8
dhwilkin,

After today, I am a bigger believer in providing clean power to audio components than ever before. My BPT BP-3 arrived today (it's a balanced power unit), and the improvements to my rig have yielded better results than any other single "tweak" I've tried. I would sooner go to Radio Shack Gold interconnects with this BP-3 than keep my Taras without it. No joke.

The improvements were so noticeable -- and so good -- that I want to do a blind comparison later with my wife's help.

I'll post more details in the power conditioning thread (the thread that was started several days ago) when I get a chance.

I used to think the people buying PS Audio PowerPlants, Equi=Tech units, etc. were maybe nuts or just had too much money to spend. Not so. I am now a huge proponent of balanced power (and BPT has a BP-Jr. that starts at $249.00).

Sep 14, 2001 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
Jude , have you tried any of the products from Richard Grays Power Company ? Just curious

Rickster

Rickochet,

No, I haven't tried RGPC stuff. I had considered the RGPC 400s, but the reviews seem more mixed than with balanced power (for which I haven't read an inconclusive review yet) and the PS Audio PowerPlants (for which I also haven't been able to find a bad review).

I'll say, RickterScale, that the BPT BP-3 I've got now is amazing me every time I listen to my system with it. I'm just going to enjoy it tonight and tomorrow, but will experiment with it this weekend (plugging my SACD player into it, but not my headphone amp; plugging my headphone amp into it, but not my SACD player; unplugging both from it; etc.).

Without a doubt, this is the single biggest, most clearly evident improvement I've received from a tweak-type component. It is so significant, that I can't even consider it a mere tweak.

I called Chris today to tell him how stunned I was about its performance. He sounded so not surprised, and told me that it would sound even better in two weeks. What?! Can't wait.

Again, I'll post more about it in the power conditioning thread from a few days ago when I get a chance to do so.

I urge you to read all the papers on this page.

Sep 14, 2001 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 8
considering all the tweaks you have tried , for you to gush over this means the rickster MUST have a look see
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 8
Hey jude, do me a favor, will ya? While you're trying all these combinations over the weekend, see how it sounds plugged into a halfway-decent surge protector w/o line filtering/conditioning as compared to the Brick Wall. I'm seriously considering that BPT Jr, but since I'm just using a SurgeMaster II (from Best Buy, I think), I want to know if something like the Brick Wall would be necessary to get the most out of the BPT.

Sep 14, 2001 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Hey jude, do me a favor, will ya? While you're trying all these combinations over the weekend, see how it sounds plugged into a halfway-decent surge protector w/o line filtering/conditioning as compared to the Brick Wall. I'm seriously considering that BPT Jr, but since I'm just using a SurgeMaster II (from Best Buy, I think), I want to know if something like the Brick Wall would be necessary to get the most out of the BPT.

dhwilkin,

I have an Isobar surge protector for my computer. Would that satisfy your curiosity? Or would you rather I used it with a really crappy hardware store surge strip? I don't want to do more than one or two others because this BP-3 has such a huge current draw upon first being plugged in, that I have to unplug everything else on the circuit (as per the BP-3's instructions), lest it trip the 15-amp circuit breaker (which I did like three times before I decided to follow the instructions and turn everything in the circuit off and then unplug them).

It is important to note that this initial current inrush only lasts a very short while while the transformers get "charged".

I would imagine, by the way, that the BP-jr wouldn't have as big a current inrush.

By the way, I don't think the Brick Wall has much to do with the BPT's performance -- just guessing based on what I understand about how they work. The Brick Wall alone does reduce the noise floor noticeably, particularly in terms of eliminating switching and related noises from major household equipment like the sump pump, refrigerator, central air, etc. The Brick Wall alone also does make my rig sound better (probably from isolating my gear from all the crud on my AC). I expected the BPT to maybe add another Brick Wall-like improvement, but it's really so much more, and, again, I have a feeling it has little to do with the Brick Wall. But I'll find out for sure tomorrow or Saturday.

Right now, I'm mostly counting on the Brick Wall for its insane surge protection.

Sep 14, 2001 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 8
The Isobar would be a good enough test for me. My guess is, if there is any difference, it wouldn't be enough to keep me from buying the BPT Jr. But as you said, we will see. Thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back