Power options for Edirol FA-66?
Aug 12, 2010 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MadCow

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I'm currently using the FA-66 as my DAC+headamp via my computer's firewire interface. However, I'm looking at more portable options on machines without firewire port (e.g. my Fujitsu U2010 UMPC or other source with optical out).

Some things that I have considered:

1) USB to Firewire converter (supports both audio + power)
2) External battery (supports power; use optical SPDIF or analog RCA for audio)
3) USB to 9V power (supports power; use optical SPDIF or analog RCA for audio)

For (1), I've googled for them but the only promising links I find suggest that they're discontinued and no longer exist. Even if they do exist, I wonder how is their performance... and I doubt they can do 24/192 without some highly custom driver work....

On (2), the power brick that comes with the FA-66 says 9V == 2.0A. So I suppose I need to match that via 9V battery. However, I'm not sure what's the current supplied by the 9V battery (couldn't find such info online), and since the voltage will drop over time I wonder if it is such a good idea.

Option (3) seems to be the best bet as the power would be consistent... however USB only supplies 5V so I'm wondering if it's possible to push it up to 9V (or combine the power of 2 USB ports in series and drop the power down to 9V)? I have some experience in soldering electronics but not much in the theory department... so as long as someone tells me it's possible and provides me with an explanation (or better, circuit diagram), I should be able to work it out.

Any advice or opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 2
as far as I know its not possible to convert usb to firewire but anyways I would get a music streamer which uses asyc usb protocol this offers the best sound from USB port, it might not be as good a firewire though, if your computer has a PCI slot then I would definitely go with a good PCI soundcard above all other options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back