Power off "Thump" Good or Bad?
Aug 5, 2008 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

geniebomb

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I tried posting this in the speaker/cable/everything else forum, but I guess there's not enough people to get an answer on this.

I have a new set of Swans M10 2.1 speakers, which give a big "thump" noise when I turn them off. I turn them off at night using the power switch on the back. Is this thump bad for the speakers? Are any thumps bad in general for any audio equipment? I would imagine that the thumps indicate sudden jumps in voltage, but I also can't imagine a company that would design a product to not be able to turn off safely.

Much thanks in advance.

George

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 9
Not so sure but I will be watching this thread. I have the same issue with my subwoofer. When I turn off my receiver my sub gives one final thump...not too loud or anything, just not sure if it is normal...

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 9
My NAD integrated amplifier has a protection circuit to prevent power-off back-EMF 'thumps', but it stopped working properly a while ago. The 'thump' reminds me of those old Revox amps, just 100X less bad.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 9
my speaker don't have this problem

Just that my tube headphone amp have the thump sound when i switch them off

But nothing happen to my headphones and the amp so far since 1 year ago so i guess it is alright

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 9
It really depends on how drastic the thump is. A good rule of thumb is to turn the volume down before turning off any equipment. This won't stop transients, but it minimizes their effect. Always follow the proper turn on and turn off procedure. Amps ON LAST and OFF FIRST.

A subwoofer thumping on turnoff shouldn't be an issue.

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yikes: It's good that I have my volume down pretty low then (9 o'clock).

It seems that there isn't a lot of knowledge on these power on/off thumps. I've seen people on the DIY boards give tips on how to get rid of them, but nothing definitive on why they would be harmful. Since I only paid $109 on the Swans M10's, I'm just going to not worry about them :).

On a side note, I just saw that they're on sale. At $82 a set, they're a really good deal. Anyone looking into budget computer speakers should check them out.

Swan M10

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, so long as the turn off thump doesn't hit the tweeters, then you should be fine. I don't think the Swans have tweeters, if I recall correctly.

It depends on the system. I forgot the turn-off-the-power-amp-first-no-matter-what rule a time or two, and had to have one of the woofers in my B&W Matrix 805's reconed (about $75). My current power amp thumps on turn-off, but it is more of a pop. I may be upgrading the tweeters...

Laz

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 9
Turn the volume ALL the way down when you turn off your amp. See if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back