Power Mac Noise
Aug 18, 2005 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

osoucy

Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I own a Power Mac G4 dual 867 (mirror drive) and I am experiencing really annoying noise with it. When I plug-in my headphones in the headphone port (on the front) I always hear some scratchy sounds. The loudness of that sound isn't constant. One way to temporary solve the problem is to put the computer to sleep and wake it up few seconds later. Normally, the noise almost disappears for the next minutes.

Depending on the cans that I use, the sound can vary from barely noticeable to absolutely intolerable.

I heard that it may be a ground isolation problem.

Any idea on how to solve this problem?
Would a PCI or USB sound card solve the problem?

Aug 18, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 4
Hard to tell where your noises might be coming from, but yes, a PCI or USB sound card (preferably PCI) would solve this. I think you're mainly looking at M-Audio cards with a Mac, so I'd take a look at the Audiophile 2496, Revolution 5.1 or Audiophile 192.

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Is the noise related to when your hard drive is accessing info? If so, a USB solution won't get rid of it... at least that was the case for me.

I ended up going with an Airport Express, which also got rid of a few other annoyances I had with the M-Audio Transit setup.

Aug 19, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't know extacly to what the noise is due.

It is true that I hear some "clicking sounds" when I move my mouse over the dock and I click icons, but it doesn't bother me.

The other noise that I hear is more constant, I can't associate it to anything. The only thing that I know is, when I put my mac to sleep and I wake it up, the noise is gone for the next few minutes.

Maybe you can tell me what causes the noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back